Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering, have you stopped noticing that you room smells like rat pee or bedding.coz apparently my room smells, but i cant smell a thing. and my room shouldnt smell anyway, i got my boys home yesterday and i didnt smell anything when i got them. but my mum came into my room and let me quote she said "UHH it stinks of pee, are you ready to take them back to the shop yet" im sure you can guess my response. anywhoo is she just bein weird, or do you stop smelling it..or it could be the fact that i think i have a cold...

hope its not just mee!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't really smell it much. I will notice it when I walk into my apartment from out side though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
simbakitten said:
but my mum came into my room and let me quote she said "UHH it stinks of pee, are you ready to take them back to the shop yet" im sure you can guess my response.
My advice is to start peeing everywhere in your house, and when your mother complains ask her if she's going to return YOU to the store now. That'll teach her how you feel, and you'll be the closer for it. A true lesson in caring!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I hardly ever notice the smell when I'm in the room - but when I walk out and stay out for a while then come back in - yeah, it's there. It's like, you never smell the natural smells of your house, but if you go to someone else's house it smells different. But to them, it'll smell like nothing. Or something like that

EDIT: and I just had to add; Schmea - good advice lol

·
Registered
527 Posts
my mom says that too!
she's all like "your room stinks!" and i'm totally confused as i smell nothing.
but i've been sleeping and playing in the same room as my ratties for 5 weeks, so i must be used to it now. :wink:
however, if i do go close to the cage the day before i clean it, and take a whiff, i can definitely smell it. xD

·
Registered
981 Posts
My roommate complains about it all the time, but I don't smell it. Actually he complains almost every time he comes in the room and it's annoying. I do what I can to clean it, but I'm really out of options.

It also doesn't help that my nose isn't particularly sensitive.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Schmea said:
simbakitten said:
but my mum came into my room and let me quote she said "UHH it stinks of pee, are you ready to take them back to the shop yet" im sure you can guess my response.
My advice is to start peeing everywhere in your house, and when your mother complains ask her if she's going to return YOU to the store now. That'll teach her how you feel, and you'll be the closer for it. A true lesson in caring!
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think it's a genetic thing really. It's like in ferrets. I was working a couple of days ago and this lady wanted to have her ferret descented. I told her to look for two spots on its ear. She actually had a ferret and it had the two tattoos on its ear meaning it was already descented. She claimed it stunk like crazy but I smelled a very nice and clean smelling ferret.

Her son smelled nothing. I told her it's probably genetic in that you smell something most can't in the ferret. But I did recomend some non smelly ferret food and some other non smelly ferret tips. Doubt they worked but hey I was trying.

I just think some people have something in their brain that smells rats more and ferrets more, etc and some people (like us) can't smell it at all.

But yeah, it does smell like wee in here occasionally and then I know I must clean. I had to up my routine for Morgan and Hobbes as they scent mark so much. I definately have to clean after broccoli lol. That makes their poop stink to high heaven.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Jeeez Im STILL laughing over the pee around the house thing.
Im laughing so hard that everyone came in to see why and when I showed them, THEY started cracking up too!

:lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think you get used to it, i dont know.This happened to me too, when my family came into my room they said it smelled but i thought they were crazy haha.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sometimes I notice. Sometimes I don't. If I do, then I KNOW it's time to clean. But EVERY TIME my boyfriend walks in, "gosh, it smells like rats in here." Huh, really there?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have 13 rats and 6 mice in my bedroom, and I also have a very sensitive nose. I rarely smell anything more than the scent of clean laundry, and if I do smell something I find the source and remove it/clean it right away.

I always have people coming into my room all shocked that I have that many animals in there and it doesn't smell at all. Recently a cousin of mine came over, and he's deathly allergic to most animals (including rodents). He was amazed that his sinuses didn't act up at all and that he couldn't smell a thing.

I'm extremely obsessive/anal about how the pets' cages are kept and if there's any kind of distasteful odor, I honestly feel completely embarassed, even to myself!

Cleanliness is next to godliness, after all :wink:

·
Registered
418 Posts
At this point I have so many 'stinky' things in my room my rat doesn't even register. I have an unneutered male rabbit (that will change some day!), and a litter box that 3 cats use. Plus I don't vacuum like I should (for some reason I think this makes a difference, but it's probably just because I clean everything else before I vacuum). My mom has never complained about my rat, but frequently will say something about the other things. Though that might change once I get boy ratties!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I feel the same way as Night.
Last week, I was freaking out because of their smell, but I figured out what I was doing wrong.

*Plastic absorbs smells*

·
Registered
476 Posts
Schmea said:
simbakitten said:
Bad idea alert.

I like it, but, for once. I'm gonna shoot out of the blue and say it's a bad idea.

Now, if your going to do it. Bring a screw driver, undo a socket so that you can pull it from the wall. THEN pee on it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I skimmed over this meaning I didn't read every word... probably because I have tears of laughter in my eyes about peeing all over the house... LOL

But like many posters have said... no, I really don't notice a smell & I have had people who have rats make comments, wow.. your rats don't smell as bad as mine do...

I am not suggesting that I have better smelling rats... lol

I think it is a combination of things. First of all I do keep the cages clean. I change them out completely no less than once a week. Currently I am using a nice thick layer of Harlan Teklad Aspen Bedding. I change out the linens (hammocks & such) twice a week since this is where most of the urine is & I feed them a low protein diet that is also very low in animal by-products... it is this ingredient that actually contributes to the stronger ammonia smell in urine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ladada2001 said:
Schmea said:
simbakitten said:
lol i was laughing for like 5 mins after i read it! great idea!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Schmea said:
simbakitten said:
that was my thought exactly!!!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I like your thinking haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts