Rat Forum banner

Having a large mischief...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NaughtyFaerie 
#1 ·
How many of you have 10+ rats? As of today, I'm up to 13! I have 7 girls and 6 boys. I have the girls living in a Double Critter Nation, 2 of my boys living in a Single Critter Nation and the other 4 boys are temporarily being housed in a Petco Rat Manor until I do introductions, after which all 6 boys will hopefully be living together in the Single Critter Nation.

I have a couple questions :

* How do you handle free range time? Do you let them all out at the same time(all meaning of the same gender of course!) or do you take them out in pairs or smaller groups and switch up?
* Do you think they are happier in larger groups or smaller?
* Do you notice your rats forming little cliques within the group? Like, some bonding more closely to others?
* What's your opinion on having 6 male rats share a Single Critter Nation cage? Just to give some information, 2 of them are about 5 months old and the other 4 are around 3 months old. Also, it would only be temporary for another couple months until we move into a bigger place and have the space to get an add-on unit!
* How often do you completely change the bedding in your cage?(For those that use pans/tubs and bedding.
* How often do you change out the litter boxes in your cage?

And of course I will add some pics of everyone and their cages, how could I not?! The girls are Phoebe, Paige, Piper, Prue, Ember, Panda and Starbuck. The boys are Fievel, Nimh, Wyatt, Cole, Leo and Apollo.
Hamster Cage Animal shelter Rodent Gerbil
Cage Wall Street art Art Rat
Cage Pet supply Animal shelter Art
Cage Animal shelter Parakeet

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 15, 8 boys and 7 girls.

* How do you handle free range time? Do you let them all out at the same time(all meaning of the same gender of course!) or do you take them out in pairs or smaller groups and switch up?

I take anyone from 1 to the whole group at time out. (obviously not mixing girls and boys) Boys I usually take smaller groups out, because it seems to cause upset if they all get taken at a time. The girls are usually out in a big group. Though Buttercup hangs out with me by herself all the time.

I've never had big groups till this last year, but I would say both depending on individuals.

* Do you notice your rats forming little cliques within the group? Like, some bonding more closely to others?

Yes, the boys moreso, but the boys seem to place a lot more importance on leadership and where is your place among the mischief than my girls do.

* What's your opinion on having 6 male rats share a Single Critter Nation cage? Just to give some information, 2 of them are about 5 months old and the other 4 are around 3 months old. Also, it would only be temporary for another couple months until we move into a bigger place and have the space to get an add-on unit!

Probably depends on individuals, but my boys wouldn't do it. They have a QC, which is the same size a dcn. Though sometimes they may sleep in one giant pile it seems important to have 8 separate sleepy spots for them.

* How often do you completely change the bedding in your cage?(For those that use pans/tubs and bedding.

As needed. I use a lot of litter boxes-5 in the boys and 4 in the girls cage. I change the most used ones every other day. The rest, just as needed. Entire cage clean up is about every 2 weeks. Blankets when they smell. Sometimes they last a week, sometimes just a day, depends on their mood, where the blankets are ect.

#3 ·
I currently have 15 rats. And will grow to have even more when there are babies. I have 9 girls & 6 boys.

The girls are in two separate cages currently because 2 of them are 6 weeks old & can slip right out of the other girls cage. When they are older or I quit being lazy & wrap the cage they will all be together. They are with their mom as well. The boys I have in 3 groups, but might be 4 soon. Because 2 of the males I am having problems with them not getting along and being nice with others. So one is by himself and the other might end up alone as well :( 2 boys are together and then I have 2 6 week old boys who are together in a cage with smaller bar spacing.

I give my rats ALOT of free range time. I split it up into 3 time frames. So someone is always out of their cage.
The girls all get out at the same time.
My two boys who live together and the baby boys get out at the same time.
Then my other two males get out at the same time.
With this many rats and the amount of free range time I give them it would be insane to only take a few out once. I'd let all the boys out together at once if it was possible.
I have rats that are more hands on then others. All of my boys love attention. I have one boy who is sooo needy lol I have 3 girls who are not very social. One adopted girl is an absolute mess who wants nothing to do with me lol And then there is my heart rat and babies who I am always going after. So I will often just sit in my rat room and let them come to me if they want attention. Give treats and pets.

I think my girls r definitely happier in larger groups. The more girls I add the happier they seem as a whole. I think they work off each other very well too...so if a girl is shier she seems to warm up quicker and be much braver when she has alot of sisters to show her its ok.
I feel that my boys are happier in smaller groups...or alone even. It depends on the boy I am sure.

Not for the most part actually. I have two girls that are closer bonded then the rest. I got them around the same time and they were both fairly shy so that may be why. But everyone sleeps together at some point, everyone plays together, everyone gets into squabbles at some point lol

IMO 6 boys is a bit too much for a single, but it does depend on their personalities. If that is what u have then u gotta work with it as long as it is temporary it isnt too bad. Id probably give them extra free range time though if possible.

My girls and babies cages I use fleece w/litter boxes and my boys do not currently have litter boxes and use aspen.
I clean everything once a week on separate days- girls one day, boys another.

#7 ·
Thank you SO much for the replies! It's very good to know that I'm not the only one with so many rats! I'm considering neutering one of the boys so he can move in with the girls in the DCN. That would put 8 rats in the DCN and 5 boys in the SCN. What are your opinions on this? I could always put him back in with the boys once I got the add-on unit or leave him with the girls if they've bonded.

#8 ·
GOOD NEWS : I just got EXTREMELY lucky and found someone selling a Double Ferret Nation cage in great condition that COMES WITH PANS already! They live right up the street from me and only want $90 for everything! I think that's a great deal and it should be perfect for the boys since they are so much bigger than the girls I don't really see them squeezing through the 1 inch bar spacing.

What do you guys think? Is that a good price for everything? Do you think 3+month old boys would be good in there and not get out?

#9 ·
Boys are typically less likely to escape than girls, but I'd still keep an eye on them for a while just to be safe. I've had boys as young as 3 months in a DFN and had no problems. And, yes, that is an excellent price for a DFN! Just make sure it has all the pieces lol

#10 ·
Yeah It's currently dis-assembled so I need to count the pieces and make sure they are all there. I'm glad they only live right up the street though, so if something is missing I'm sure I can call to pop over and grab it lol. I'm so excited, this is great because if the introductions don't go perfectly well I can still have the boys in the same cage I would just separate them into 2 groups and close the levels off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.