Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, two of my girls passed away recently, leaving me with two girls left. Paisley is over 2 years old, and snow is over 1.5 years.... Soon I will be rebuilding my pack.

I lost both girls to cancer and that just mentally broke me. Even with surgeries they didn't pull through... That's why, in January I was thinking of getting two small boys. The only thing is this: at that time will both my rats have undergone menopause? Is there a way to check this at the vet I wonder....?

I would prefer not to neuter or spay If possible. Has anyone done this before? (Housed two senior ladies with younger males).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
There's no way to tell unfortunately and no garuntees they aren't still fertile. For example a friend recently took an older man to use as a stud buck who had been housed with a supposedly infertile doe (over 2 years old) for several months with no babies after refusing to get pregnant as a younger doe. He took them as a pair and around a month after they came to his he got a massive surprise when she gave birth to a lovely healthy litter. In that case it was a nice surprise, both rats are from breeder stock with good lines, health and had aged really well. It's really not worry the risk in most cases though, rats can surprise you

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, that's what I was thinking! Hmmm in which case I may have to look into a pair of neutered boys.... I'm worried that if I wait until my beautiful paisley and snow have passed that in the process one will be lonely....
I don't think there's a way around this then ... After chip trying to tear open her stitches for weeks I was hoping for an alternative to surgeries ... Too bad we can't give rats birth control lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have 2 boys and added a baby girl to the mix. I had the 2 boys first and I ended up neutering them for dominance issues and aggression issues with one and marking. When I got them neutered it completely took care of all of these problems and some people are very against neutering boys except in extreme circumstances but I am very happy I did it and if i got another boy i would probably do it again. So I just also wanted to point out that you should consider the possibility of gettting Snow spayed like isamurat said, then you could wait until paisley passes and not have to worry about the boys getting snow pregnant. But if you did that route just take into consideration that you may end up getting the boys and wanting to neuter them for another reason anyways, such as marking or dominance issues. then you would have ended up going through the ordeal of getting snow spayed and getting the boys neutered anyways. So in my opinion it's a safer decision to just go with neutering the boys right off the bat. And also if the boys aren't neutered they will still have the sexual urges towards snow potentially be a little "humpy" per se...whereas after they are neutered they don't act that way at all. My boys have never acted sexual towards Rosie and I am really enjoying seeing what it's like having boys and a girl although my Rose is still a very young yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts