Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all - I've got the opportunity to take in some boys. I've got two girls, and two cages, so nothing big there (I do NOT want babies!). I was curious though - Is there any benefit to having them fixed vs not? If I have them fixed, can they be easily housed with the girls? Does it change behaviour at all? How bad does marking get with in-tact boys?

I appreciate any help y'all can offer!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, what's the average cost for having them clipped?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
All of my boys are neutered. I have two girls and four boys. I did notice that when my boys were intact they did smell more and mark more, but that might have also been because I had girls. The boys were probably interested in the girls at that time. I heard that, even though it is more pricy, that there are more health benefits to having your girls fixed vs your boys being neutered.

It costs me 90 dollars each to have them neutered, but many vets do give discounts. Some of the other quotes that I got were 300 each and 160 each.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Neutering cuts down on smell and marking. It will eliminate "hormonal" aggression. Your girls can go in with the males right away after neutering, if you want, or you can wait a couple of weeks. It's "generally" less expensive to have a male neutered. Some people think that neutering will make them, "calmer".... What it actually does is eliminate hormonal aggression. That doesn't mean your rat won't be aggressive. It just means it won't be hormones causing the aggression.

My vet charges 60 dollars for a neuter.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Neutered males are amazing and I highly recommend them. Females themselves benefit more from spaying than males do for neutering, but the benefits for the owner with neutered males is way more than the benefits of spaying. XD Eventually, I hope to do both, but for now, neutering is all I plan to do. My neutered male doesn't mark, doesn't have buck grease, has amazing hygiene habits, and doesn't mind his three female cagemates bossing him around. XD I'm not sure how much is due to the neuter and how much is personality, but boy is Pooka awesome. The only two things I am certain were 100% caused by the neuter are the lack of buck grease and the 0 chance of him developing hormonal aggression. Those two things alone are enough for me as I think I may be allergic to buck grease (even if I'm not, it's gross) and a majority of the males I've had in the past developed some sort of hormonal aggression (two became rat aggressive and one became both human and rat aggressive). I never want to risk hormonal aggression again so neutered males are the way to go for me.

Neutered males can go in with females 10 days after they are neutered because they are not sterile right away.

Depending on where you go, the price difference between a spay and neuter could be negligible or very significant. One vet I know charges $77 for both, one charges $100 for a neuter and $115 for a spay, and one charges $300 for a neuter and I'm not completely sure about the spay because each spay I did there was an emergency/not a normal spay and they charged me $400 and $700 for those. =/

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What in the world is buck grease?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would definitely call every vet in your area to get quotes cuz price can vary by ALOT! I went with the cheapest and that was 60 for each of my 2 boys. Prices went all the way up to 300 but i would never pay that much. That's why you have to call around and not go with the first one you call cuz they might be much pricier than you need to be paying. I feel that neutering was very beneficial for my boys. I would do it a million times over. My alpha boy had a little hormonal aggression beforehand and he's sweet as a button now and they hardly mark at all anymore. It used to be horrible and gross. I hated it. They also used to have such bad dominance fights, probably part of the hormonal aggression thing and it was just carried away really bad more than just establishing alpha and that was completely taken care of as well by getting fixed. I'm so glad i did it. I'll fix any boy I get in the future for sure.

I also have a female now that lives with them. At first even the fixed boys had a little bit of issues to work out when she would go into heat cuz they weren't used to being around a girl so they would chase her but they wouldn't know how to actually try and mate. That stopped after a short time though and now the boys couldn't care less about living with a female. I think the marking may have slightly went up though from my alpha boy but it may be because my female has a dominant personality and is trying to take over as alpha now that she's old enough and big enough to hold her own. Your female, on the other hand, if she is not spayed may have some increased hormonal issues living with the boys. My girl is not spayed and now that she has reached 6 months old she gets pretty crazy when she's in heat and will actually encourage my boys to mate with her but they don't understand what she wants lol. Then she just gets mad. I know girls can be pretty manic when in heat but I think her sassiness and craziness is magnified because she is living with males. I am going to get her spayed next week because I think they will all live more peacefully that way and it will take care of a lot of problems. But I am not saying it is not a livable situation and they do ok. My girl may also be a little extra crazy compared to your girls lol you will have to see how they react but overall they should do pretty well and I'm sure your males will do wonderfully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts