Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rat owner (around 3 weeks). Both my rat babies are becoming more comfortable with me, but Jam is a lot more timid and barely allows me to touch her still. Honey is very outgoing and loves to explore. She will climb into my hand from her cage now, and seems to do well in my lap or on my shoulder. But if she's climbs off me and starts to explore, I'm no longer allowed to touch her, she'll avoid me and freak out if I try to pick her up, and will usually pee on me. Is this normal behavior, am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does Honey allow you to pick her up or does she only go on you herself?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have two rats that act similar. Varney likes to climb on me or my shoulder. He will leave the cage and explore but he hates being lifted. Z is kind of the same way but it's rare he'll climb on me and prefers to explore alone. If she doesn't like to be lifted up it could be just a fear of being dropped, or she maybe just doesn't like not being in control of her own direction. Maybe work on it slowly with treats offered for her coming to you outside the cage?

·
Registered
259 Posts
She only goes on me herself
Its great that she trusts you enough to go onto you. It sounds like you need to get them both used to being handled, you can do this by desensitizing them to it with treats. You can desensitize them by briefly touching, stroking, and holding them, rewarding them and then eventually handling them more and more. You can also spend time with them in a small space with only you as a hiding spot making you a safe place for them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a ferret vitamin paste to get my rats to trust me. First I dab a small amount on my finger a few times and then I dab it on the palm of my hand. They can't carry it away so they are stuck licking it off my freshly washed hands. You can use baby food as well but the paste doesn't require refrigeration. If they nip, I squeak at them but they seem to love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts