Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to introduce 3 4 month old rats to my current 4 year old. When they are in a neutral area like a tub they all get along fine and sleep together, however in the cage its a different story. My 4 year old girl watson will stiffen up with the others approach her and will let them walk all over her, sometimes the bigger girl of the 3 will fight with watson, and now she's hiding in the bottom half of the cage and was down there all night (this was the first night i had them all together in the cage). I found small scratches along her side that I'm assuming is from peaches, the bigger rat that picks on her whenever they get close together. I don't know what to do, i feel bad because to me it feels like watson is loosing her home to invaders now.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Some rats can not live together sadly. I would be slightly worried about stressing out the 4 year old. She is an old lady.

Did you clean the cage really well before trying to add them? You should scrub it down really well, get every little corner clean. Clean everything before putting it in the cage. It should have no smell and be completely neutral to all of the rats.

I'd also make sure to have different food dishes, water bottles and beds on different levels.

From my experience most girls get along fine. There may be little squabbles and bickering but it will settle down after they sort out who is boss. If there is no blood or injuries let it go. But idk how bad the scratches are?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have separated them and going to swap who lives in what cage now every 2 days and hope their smells mingle and mix. Just don't understand how they can be buddy buddy in a bath tub but squabble in a cage, I talked to the lady i adopted the girls from and she said i can bring her back if i ever feel the need too, it's just i feel that all pets are forever animals, and you just can't get rid of them if you don't like them or if things just don't work out. I also had deep cleaned the cage before i put the girls inside with watson and rearranged everything but litter box locations, what was on the bottom i moved to the top and vise-versa.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if maybe that i just put watson and the alpha rat together that she's having issues with together by themselves in a travel cage if that might help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts