Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know that alfalfa is a no-no... so I would assume the same about hay...

Not sure, though...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I got some bags of timothy hay for free, and I figured the rats might like to play in it, so I put some in a box. They climbed in, walked around in it for a minute, and then opted to play elsewhere. They didn't seem to like it. If you already have some you might try letting them play with it, but I don't think they'd eat it, except maybe a nibble or two to taste. But yeah, definitely not alfalfa hay. I got some of that too, but haven't touched it....anyone need some hay? ^^; I should get rid of it before I'm tempted to get a guinea pig... :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
To eat? Probably not. To sleep on? Probably, but I'd freeze it first.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I would be worried about hay because it is so dusty. and god only knows what kind of buggies it holds. My ratties just get cotton fluff to play in and shredded paper.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i use torn up tissue paper. it adds color and Victoria loves to carry it and nest. Also i use cotton fluff for hamsters...Victoria loves that too. But occasionally she'll fight with the big pieces as if it was another rat....

Personally, i think hay is to scratchy for them. especially with my hairless girl, but im sure its been done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts