Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya guys,

Ive got my 3 little boys now but some of there behaviour is confusing me.

Ive noticed that when free ranging Remmy will often stop for a while and ever so slightly bob his head up and down, with his ears quivering ever so slightly and his chest seems to vibrate... Ive read that red eyed rats often sway there head from side to side because there vision is bad but nothing seems to say anything about bobbing up and down. I thought mabey he was waiting to find a route to somewhere he wanted to go but even when i gave him a path (i.e. pushed the tissue box so he could use it as a step from the bed to the table) he carried on doing it...kind of like he was just staring into nothingness bobbing his head.

I do believe there eye sight is pretty bad (they are all red eyed) as they only seem to see treats from a few inches away and im guessing this is more that they can smell it rather than see it.

Also i took them upstairs for there first free range on the spare bed (previously free range has been on the sofa) after about 1 hour they all just stopped and started grooming themselves for a while i thought was abit odd considering it was a exciting (or in Remmys case scary, he hid on my shoulder half the time) new place to play and they happily run around the sofa for hours.

Does excessive self grooming during free range time mean something? are they bored? scared? tired?

Thankyou!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Rats will often groom when they're thinking about something. If your boys are new, and being put in new situations, and there's different things going on, they're probably just taking it all in and grooming/thinking and trying to figure out what's going on. Grooming is also self-calming so if they're a little bit nervous and thinking, that could be it too. Sometimes when my rats are out and one stops and stares and starts bruxxing or grooming I will ask them "what are you thinking about?" hehe :p Most commonly my one adventurous girl will do this if something is moved or changed in the freerange room, or if she thinks she can figure out a way to escape through the door. If I just closed the door, or if she's sticking her nose under the door to smell the hallway air, she will pull back and start bruxxing or grooming. I think she's intensely trying to scheme a way out since she loves full house free range (she is the only rat I let do this and I am always about 5 feet behind following).

As for the bobbing, is it really quick up and down and a little jerky looking? Is he moving his lips or mouth at all? I notice my rats do this when they have a little something in their mouth that they're trying to spit out. Sometimes it's very subtle, sometimes they bob and shake very vigorously to spit it out. It's possible your boy may have licked something and got a little chunk he's trying to spit back out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank guys :)

No the head bobbying is ever so slight with his little nose twitching.... the best way i can describe it is when your reallllly tried and your trying to stay awake and your just staring into nothingness and you try and keep your head still but it ever so slightly bobs up and down... not sure if that helps lol but thats what it reminds me of haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts