Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have just aquired a 7 week old girl with what i think is a head tilt. Her head isn't tilted as such but it swings to the right like as if she's watching something go past... is that head tilt..?

Anyway i took her to the vet and told her (after reading on here) that i think its an ear infection and needs antibiotics and steroids.
She told me she wouldnt like to put her on steroids as she is so young...
So i just have baytril 0.25ml once a day, for one week??

Will this do any good as ive read they need steroids too..?

Any help would be appretiated

Thanks

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
she's not swaying back and forth is she? That would be trying to focus her vision. If it is, what colour are her eyes...pink eyed and ruby eyed rats have terrible vision. If your girl has a head tilted to one side or the other thats different. Does she have a tendency to turn in that direction?

For a wee one like that, unless her tilt is really bad (and noticeable) and she is very sick, I wouldn't give her steroids. The baytril should be just fine.

Here is Faline a girl who has a residual tilt...its not very bad and she has no problems with balance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, thanks for the reply.

It's not like in the picture. She does have red eyes, but she doesn't swing from side to side, just to her right, kinda looks like she's gonna tip over. Could that still be her vision? Its quite noticable, usually when she's stood/sat still.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I wish I could upload my camera pics, I'd show you a moderately severe head tilt my (own) boy has, due to a PT. :( An ear infection that was never treated could cause a slight tilt. He used to sway, though. It sounds like your girl may just be trying to see, though. The only thing I can think to show you is a video I made long ago... Here's the video.

Load (it's easier to see if you hit the box in the center of the box thing on the bottom right, to make it smaller) and around 1:40 is when he starts. At 2:25, you can see it again when he's peeking out of the hidey house. That is the typical "rat trying to see" sway and he actually stopped after becoming a lot more comfortable (he'd been a feeder reject rat and the previous owner bought him and then never handled him). The other beige hooded rat in the video has pink eyes and never did it, interestingly enough, but he was very self-assured, so I have a theory on swaying rats that's for another topic. :)

Does it look like this at all? If not, a vet check may be called for.

Edit: fixed the link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks quite similar to that, except she goes all the way to the right then back to the middle, then back to the right. rather than going left right left right.

I wish i could get a video of her doing it, but whenever i get the camera out she runs up to it to see whats going on lol.

I took her to the vet but they didnt really seem to have any clue, as i had to tell them what i thought it was. And its the only one i can get to really.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think this sounds neurological. Keep us updated. I've never heard of this in a rat before but the symptom sounds familiar somehow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i'm going to just try and keep her on the baytrill for a few weeks, and see if it makes any difference. It doesnt seem to be bothering her, and she likes the fact she's getting chocolate custard (what i hide the baytrill in :) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts