Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Hello! I am so grateful to have found such an informed and compassionate online rat community. ^^ Ok, so here's a lil about me and my new rats. I did a lot of reading before buying some, and bought them a very nice 3 story cage, with a tube hammock and lots of parrot toys. (as well as normal boring stuff like food and water, :wink: ) The levels are wire floored tho, so I am getting some chipboard to put down and change out so they don't get bumble foot. These are our first rats, named Remy and Rizzo. I just got them yesterday. I knew I would get two from the start because of how much they love each others company. For better or for worse, I saved them from being snake food at a local pet store. From looking at pics online I'd say I have a 3/4 week old and a 4/5 week old, both boys with maybe and hooded pattern?. They both seem healthly, and somewhat social for being feeders. Nice clear eyes, clean coats and they have been playful, eating, and drinking well already. I think I may take them to a vet anyway, just because I'll worry till I do, :( . Rizzo does have a lil patch on his shoulder area that is a lil short, I think from possibly being barbered by another rat. Now comes the extra hard part, socializing them. Remy will come to me already, but I think I kind set him back a lil. While I was playing with him today he got away and I lunged out of instinct, he got pretty scared and I hope he'll forgive me. Rizzo is the one that is a lil older, and he is a lil more wary, but he will also sniff my hand and permit a pet, tho neither likes being held yet. As these are my first, I am so scared of not socializing them properly. Any suggestions on how I can be a better mom to my new babies? Thanks much for sharing your experience with me. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
with socializing them you just need to handle them a lot.
take them into a different room where they are not familiar with scents and sights and they will see you as a comfort, already knowing you.
and otherwise it will just take time. normally at that age they are pretty well off on getting to know their owner pretty fast.

and i would say hold off on the vet for a bit. i am sure if you got them from a petstore then they were in cramped conditions and may have URI.
if you hear any sneezing or if you feel any wheezing in their chest take them to the vet then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, well, after my post in the health section, I guess I actually have Stella and Baby Bella. (like portabella mushrooms,) :) They are my ratties either way, but I was looking forward to cuddlebunnies. Oh well. Yay no rat knuts! lol, thanks for the welcomes, :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.