Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in ,Toronto Canada, just asking. What cost are you dealing with, in other parts? Here, quick visit to the vet will set will set you back $100.00. want a male neutered, $300., medicine for an URI, with exam, lab costs, $200. An abscess, $300....the vets, who have knowledge, with rodents, treat they as special exotic animals, and since there is not a lot of them, you pay the price, can get costly,,especially when the little rat may be free. They ,, (rats) need to be looked after, if you question the vet, they, just ask, Where , and who else is there? Caught in a trap, looking after our pets.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I found a vet that charges $56.00 for one rat and $86.00 to see two at the same time... The top small animal vet in the state is about $120.00 for a visit. Tumor removal is about $300.00, but with miscellaneous expenses more like $600.00.

And yes, overall the price is outrageous. I do understand that vets see themselves as doctors and some doctors make over $20,000.00 per day, but human doctors get paid by insurance companies and can charge way more than their patients actually make.... If a vet visit is 15 minutes and a vet charges $100.00 per visit, she's making $400.00 per hour for say 7 hours per day or $2800.00 per day assuming they aren't doing any really expensive procedures... not that I'm against anyone getting ahead in life, but seriously for those making a normal wage supporting a single vet practice that makes about $800,000.00 per year isn't easy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I should find out tomorrow what my local vets charge for rat care. Hoping it's not extortionately expensive. I'd like to get the boys neutered since our new place is near a wooded area that's known to have rats living in it. Better safe than sorry, right?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Healthcare for any pet isn't cheap. You just have to find the right one that is willing to work with you. My first rat I went through at least 5 vets in her lifespan. She had chronic uri and ended up with a mammary tumor near the end of her life. I ended up making a list of all the vets within 100 mile radius of my house and called around asking for surgery and visit prices. It took me about a week to find one because I live in the city and every fourth building is a clinic. But the people I found offered a free visit for any animal with a tumor to get it looked over, as long as you decided on surgery at the end of the visit. Unfortunately the end of my visit resulted in a pts. But they still didn't charge me for the visit, just the euthanasia. Which was $36. A visit for two rats is $37 if they've seen them before, new client first time with two is $44. Anyway, my point to this is that you may have to take the time to look around. I drive 1 & 1/2 hours to get to this clinic because they care about my pets and they are reasonable. When by boys got fleas, they gave me four packs of revolution for the price of two because I informed them I spent a fortune on my dog and cats in the beginning of the week. And instead of shovig a 6 month or year supply down my throat, which I was seriously considering at the time, they reminded me that my boys were nearing 2 yrs at the time and they might not make it 6 months more. (They are going strong btw lol) It is hard to find a good vet, you just have to look, and try them out. You'll probably end up visiting way more than need be but its worth it in the end. Also, I work at a clinic and what many people don't realize is a lot of the prices aren't determined by the veterinarian. Usually there is a hospital manager or in many cases a larger company behind it that owns a few different clinics. I understand prices are ridiculous, trust me, that's why I don't even go to my own clinic unless it's for the basic vaccines for my dog. But understand its mostly the company trying to stay in business wherever they are located. Hope this helped a bit.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It's usually a very bad sign when multiple levels of management can be supported by a business. Now you're paying for administrators, managers, clerical people, owners and investors, not to mention accountants advertising people and attorneys... none of which actually perform the services you are theoretically purchasing.... That's just tells you how fat the industry is getting....

Finances shouldn't dictate the care your family or pets get in a perfect world... but yes in the real world it does matter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Vets are expensive here is Saskatchewan as well for small animals. But you it can help to find a vet who really does it because they want to. When I first saw a vet it was 69 just to be seen plus any medication or xrays,etc. But I went to a different vet and although prices are the same, she never charges me the 69 visit fee if they need meds or any other charge. I would be selective about your vet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So my mom's vet is $68 for an exam for one rat plus an additional $46 for another, $180 for a neuter. Meds/xrays and the like are determined by what's needed so she couldn't give me a price listing.

The vet clinic the shelter deals with is $69.50 for an exam (not sure if it's per rat or for both) and $178 for a neuter. I haven't checked any other vets yet, but I have some time before I need to (hopefully they don't get sick any time soon lol)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts