Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rat alice pomplemousse is just over a year old, and over the course of the last 2 months she has been losing weight. recently it has gotten really bad over the last two weeks. she tires easily, her eyes have lost their sparkle and the other day while on the couch, she jumped towards me, opened her mouth really wide and i swear "screamed". thats just wat it sounded like.
ive been feding her rich foods in the hopes of helping her gain more energy, but she hasnt really been improving. she doesnt have the balance she did before, she struggles to hold on to your arm or shoulder and it feels like she is slipping off.
also, her two cage mates are thriving and are healthy as ever...and she doesnt have the drive to eat like she used to. never one to turn down hand outs , now she only eats a bit it then leaves it or hides it.

im not sure what to do?
and i dont know if seperatign her from her cagemates for a while is the right thing to do, i mean it seems there is always enough food if she was so inclined to eat it. they groom and sleep with her as well.
(i don know if this is relevant, but she was an only rat until just a few months ago when the two others became permanent residents in her cage...she is less social than she used to be in some ways, nothing major, but could having cagemates all of a sudden be causing stress? she used to be roun, healthy, robust, bold, friendly, alive, she used to play and now...i dont kow...its only recently she has begun declining and i guess it wasnt so long sfter she was joined by the other two...(one ive had for almost a year and the other is her only baby and is a few months old so i dont think it is bacterial))

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Have you taken her to the vet? If so, I think there's definate cause to get her checked over. The behaviour you've described sounds like you've got quite a poorly rat on you hands :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
This is definitely a rat that needs to see a vet. Poor wee one, does not sound well at all. It could be a lot of different things. The open mouthed thing sounds like gasping for air. :( soo young, but some rats are sickly and will get ill very young. :(

Definitely vet time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Agreed, Rat to the vet pronto. Could be a host of illnesses. How is her breathing, how are her nose/eyes (porphyrin), and masses in her abdomen or anything? Any head tilting?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well she breaths fine most of the time, with the occasional chirping/bruxing type noise and she doesnt seem to have any masses. Her rib cage seems large but it could be that it just appears so in contrast to her small stomach cavity. there is no porophin but the other rats groom her incessantly so maybe thats why.

i believe she may be gaining a bit of weight but nothing significant. i have been trying harder to get her to eat and sometimes it workes but no so much with solid foods. the other day in her cage she was eating dried bananas, hopefully she ate more than just that.

i just have no idea what it could be... i mean there seems to be missing symtomes for it to be something easily distinguisable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also no head tilting. she seems to have some more strenthg as well..well maybe not strength so much as the drive to be active again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts