Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so a week later now and Joshu still isn't eating on his own. He will occasianally eat treats but I still havnt' seen him drink from his bottled water and I'm still haveing to hand feed him. He's been on Baytril for 6 days and while it seems to have helped him a bit he is still breathing hard and lethargic.
Also he seems to not be chewing on anything to keep his teeth down O:

I had a follow up appointment last tuesday but with the snow the office has been closed. So I tried to call them today, no one answered but I left a message on the answering machine. I'm hopeing they are open tomorrow but since I havn't heard anything back I'm not putting my money on it.

His condition seems to be stable. The doctor suggested x-rays to see if it was heart disease. I'm curious if anyone has any past experiance with heart disease in rats and what the recovery rate is. Basically I want to know if you think Joshu will ever be his old self again :(

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I've come across that website before but never looked at the heart disease links.

Urg, it looks very serious, of course it sounded very serious as well. I'm wondering if it's alright to continue trying to fight this thing so Joshu could live or would it be better on him to be put down?

That's too hard of a decision to make. I suppose I will have to talk to my vet about it. Too bad that snow has kept it closed all week >< I hope they open up again soon.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Poppyseed said:
thanks, I've come across that website before but never looked at the heart disease links.

Urg, it looks very serious, of course it sounded very serious as well. I'm wondering if it's alright to continue trying to fight this thing so Joshu could live or would it be better on him to be put down?

That's too hard of a decision to make. I suppose I will have to talk to my vet about it. Too bad that snow has kept it closed all week >< I hope they open up again soon.

You are very welcome. Yes that is something you will need to discuss with your vet, I'm sure he'll tell you how he feels about the situation on what would be the best course of action. I wish you and your rattum the best of luck!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gar, couldn't get in until wednesday due to the fact that I have work and don't have a car. I hope Chris will be alright going to work later on wednesday.

We might bring him in to get fed early tuesday morning if we can. He won't even syringe feed anymore and when I try to force him he fights so hard. It's so sad it makes me cry.

This is really getting very stressful and I hope we can figure this out wednesday. Please if anyone else knows of having rats with heart disease or anything similar post so I know I'm not alone in this T_T I really love Joshu and it's breaking my heart to see him have to suffer just because the vet office has been closed due to weather T_T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts