Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing the term heart rat and while I'm pretty sure I know what it means I still wanted to know for sure. I have a tendency to be way wrong so I didn't want to make any assumptions, haha. It's not really a favorite rat, just one you have a special connection with for whatever reason? Or am I way off?

·
Registered
395 Posts
For me it is having a special bond and mutual love which equates to the rat being a favorite. I lost two heart rats within one year of each other. Although I currently have seven other rats none have the personality type to be a heart rat. My heart rats kissed me alot like I was part of the pack. It was beautiful.

I have a feeling I will never have another heart rat and consider myself lucky for the precious short time I had with the ones who were. Interestingly, they were my first two rats and those that followed just aren't lovey-dovey. My first heart rat (a beautiful blue bareback dumbo) came from a breeder and was the last rat to be sold. My second heart rat (a cute standard eared brown hooded rat) was purchased from a pet store. I see no connection to a rat's personality to where they came from and wish there was!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think people use it spesifically for them, but generally it's a special rat to you. I feel as if I have two atm, Cricket my siamese girl, and GusGus my agouti boy. Which is funny cause GusGus wasn't the baby I picked out first. Grey was the one I was all cooing over, with his deformed leg and tiny white toes. But now Gusgus has stolen that spot, intentionally I think. XD

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Heart rat is your "special" rat... the one who really captured your heart. For me, its Chai. I love all my rats, but Chai has a special place in my heart. She is the one in my avatar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's basically what I was thinking and I definitely understand the feeling. I love my three girls but I have a special connection to my little one, Kiwi, she doesn't seem to feel it but I certainly do! I also have had the feeling with other pets, even with animals that I didn't own which isn't as fun. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I absolutely love both Mango and Tango, but the bond I have with Mango in particular is so special that I consider her my heart rat. She seeks me out even during free range time, and when she's in her cage, she gently tugs on my fingers or clothing as if to pull me in there with her. The cage is in my bedroom, and the second she hears me wake up, she scurries to the front of her cage to wish me good morning. She comes to the sound of her name and has taken to grooming me like she would another rat, and even takes naps on my chest (she loves sleeping under my shirt!). Tango is amazing as well of course - but she's just such a lively, independent, goof ball that the bond I have formed with her is quite different..

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have two. Squeak because I've had him since he was itty-bitty and he follows me around, which is possibly the cutest thing ever. He sits on my feet. He snuggles into my shirt. If I call him when he's across the room he pops up and bounces over to me. <3

May-May because she is my wild-child. She is extremely smart and fearless...and fast. She is the only one of my females that immediately jumps into my hand when I open the cage door. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts