Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine is having issues with her current landlord and may need to have someone care for her hedgehog. I'm contemplating volunteering. I'm sure I cannot put the hedgehog in the same cage as the rats. But can they play with each other? Would my current setup be a good enough situation?

I have a DCN in the corner of the room. I currently have a starter cage on top that was replaced by the DCN. It's about 14" x 10" x 12". I actually just leave the starter cage open because the rats like to climb up top, so that provides a little playground. If I put the hedgehog in there, then obviously the cage will be closed, but that won't stop the rats from climbing up top and investigating the closed cage and its new inhabitant. I suspect the hedgie would cower from the bars if he's not happy with the rats.

I don't know the hedgie enough to allow for free range, but I have a makeshift pen that's about 3' x 4'. I originally got it for the rats but that was before I upgraded to a DCN and the couch. The pen actually seems so restrictive for the rats now. May be perfect for the hedgehog.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this? I don't know how long I'd have the hedgehog. Her situation is a bit volatile right now, so it could be months. I don't even know if I have the wife's permission to take this on, but I wanted to get people's input.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wouldn't let them play. The rats could bite the hedge and the quills would hurt the rats. And the starter cage would be small for so hedgehog. Also you may need a heat light because hedge need it a little warmer and if they hibernate they could die.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes. That is definitely making me reconsider fostering the hedgie.

I'll let her know that we could be an option if there is absolutely no one else. I think she'll find a taker, though. We live in 720 sq ft, so we wouldn't be able to provide much room for three rats and a hedgehog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts