Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My name is Mariah. I am eighteen years old. I currently have a small dog that is very friendly with all animals; cats, other dogs, guinea pigs. I have had experience with small animals before. I have previously had 7 hamsters and 3 guinea pigs, in total. I have never had any rats. I am very interested in adopting two of them. I already have a breeder picked out and she is eager to work with me. However, I am not acting on this yet until I feel confident enough in my knowledge pertaining to rats and their care. I don't want to adopt a rat and not have a single idea about how to raise them. I do happen to already know how to love them unconditionally. My birthday is coming up at the end of this month and that means that I will end up with over $500 saved so far. I want to make sure I have enough to buy a quality cage with adequate space that is safe. I also realize that I will need to buy supplies, toys, etc. The very first thing that I will want to do is take them to our vet to make sure that they are healthy. That will be $60+ (our vet is expensive but amazing) right there. I might even wait until after Christmas to get them so I have near/over a grand. I am just paranoid that I won't be prepared. I have a spare bedroom that is cleared and will be used for their play room. Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds like you're being very financially responsible which is very good. What some people suggest is to keep putting aside around $30 a month to fund any health emergencies that may come up. i.e. If they need to be fixed, cysts, (usually later in life) tumor removal. All of the things I listed may or may not happen, but it's good to be prepared.

Other than that it's very much up to you when you'd like to get them. :D

Welcome to the forums by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts