Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently joined because one of my rats is acting out of the norm, and I couldn't find anything about it online. I'll start out by telling you a bit about their background:

There is Pumpkin. She gave birth to babies shorty after I got her, and I ended up keeping her and one of her female babies, Lily. Pumpkin has been wonderful. She hasn't been scared of me, she lets me kiss her, tickle her, and she normally seems to love all of it. Lily on the other hand, I can't seem to get tame. She seems curious of me, but she's extremely skittish and doesn't like to be picked up or held.
Pumpkin has been acting the same way tonight. She is acting more like Lily than herself. She will still climb on me and run up to me when I call her for treats...but she won't let me touch her, especially her back. She acts like she hates the feeling and runs away. This isn't like her.
I've also noticed that Lily has been mounting, and what looks like humping, Pumpkin. Is this for dominance? Pumpkin has started doing the same thing to Lily, but not as much. Are they in heat? I just don't know what it could be. It's just odd that Pumpkin's weird behavior is at the same time as Lily doing weird things to her. Is this normal for female rats? Could they be in heat? I'm just worried that Lily's timid demeanor is rubbing off on Pumpkin. I don't want two unfriendly rats, but I don't know what to do.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Lauren

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Sounds like they're in heat, which also explains the weird behavior.

Tomorrow, I'd take Lily alone into a bathroom, closet, or blocked off hallway and spend one on one time with her. Don't let her hide and just interact with her. Take treats with you, and a book or a laptop to have something to do. If she doesn't improve after an hour or so I'd bring Pumpkin in and just make a point of trying to handle them and reward them and love them. This is basically Immersion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts