Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New poster here. I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided it was time to sign up! I've been a rat mum to 4 rats, all girls, named Violet, Lydia, Mina, and Annabelle. I'm also surrounded by one cat, one guinea pig, one fish, and (HOPEFULLY!) a dog.

I have...a bit of a dilemma right now. Unfortunately, my older rat unfortunately had to be put down 2 Saturday’s ago.Now my 1.5 year old rat is alone. My problem is, I’m not planning on adopting anymore rats. I can’t. The heartbreak is too much. My mental health is not in a good state atm, and her being put down was the catalyst.
My lone rat is a VERY happy rat. She is constantly bruxing and boggling, is eating fine, and is constantly with me. I’m disabled, and therefore have the ability to be with her at almost all times (with the exception of sleeping & obvious other times).
So essentially she is with my anywhere from 6-8 hours outside her cage and is also in a very high traffic area with other people.
Do you think she’ll be okay? I think she will. I would just like other input from other rat owners.
Thank you, and have a lovely day!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I would say that she will get lonely. Rats need the company of other ratties. There is NO amount of human interaction that can replace the need to socialize with her same species. She might overgroom or undergroom herself, she might get bored and start chewing on the bars of her cage. She may look fine now, but that will probably change. My advice is to take home another rat from a breeder.By the time, the quarantine period is done, your rattie will be in dire need of a buddy. Think of it as a pet for your pet. That is just my opinion.
Good luck! You should do some more research. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts