Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Shaylee. I just got two male rats on Saturday night. One is white with a black hood and the other is a dark grey/black color. The white and black one is very active and friendly and curious. He doesn't like to be picked up but has been less squirmy. The black is very shy and hides most of the time. Its hard for me to let him out b/c he can't stop going potty :(

Their cage is sized appropriatly for two but is rather bare. I will be getting them lots of things this week when I get money.

If anyone has some suggestions of what their male rats like, it would nice.

^_^

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome. The going potty is likely out of fear. The only way to make it stop is to handle them... It will also get better when they're older.

My boys like hammocks (Two pieces of fleece with safety pins at the edges works fine) anything they can hide in (storage containers, pitchers), anything they can destroy (cardboard boxes (also good for hiding!) wood blocks (hard wood, preferably)) and tunnels... And anything hung from the ceiling that they can rip down and then munch on/pee on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I've made a hammock but they haven't gotten in it. It is somewhat high off the ground, maybe they can't reach it. And I've taken a shoe box and cut a door in the front, a hole on the top and there is a cardboard tube out of one side that they can climb through. They seem to like it.

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
welcome! i bet your ratties are totally cute. <3
i'm hoping against hope to get 2 ratties this week..if all goes well with my mom.
rats are awesome!! :]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol.
After my hermit crabs got adopted I told my mom I was going to get a different pet. I was gonna go with gerbils but went with rats at the last moment. I knew I wanted to get them, and I bought them on a total whim. I went to the pet store at like 8:30 and then snuck everything in through my window. lol. No one found out till the next day.

But they like them now :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Shaylee!

Please take a moment to read the site rules and enjoy your stay! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts