Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a question for you all.

I am an animal lover. I am planning to have a cat at my house and already have two rats with me now.

How can I protect the rats from the cats?

P/S:I do not want to lock the rats in a cage or something. Not even the cat.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My girls live in my bedroom. They have a cage, but the doors are always open. So, the bedroom is their realm. The rest of the house belongs to my other animals. It works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your interesting ideas :)

i will keep the rats and cats in different rooms and cover all the holes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like Mene above, I have my rats in my room. My 2 cats have the rest of the house. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Also another idea is to train the cat to stay away from the rats. Using a shock collar every time the cat comes near them give him/her a shock. It my sound mean but its the safer option than loosing you beloved ratties.
umm no. Do not do this. That is animal abuse. It sounds cruel because it is cruel.

The most important thing is just to be ever vigilant. Always make sure the door to their room is shut. And that no rat can escape.

I have 5 cats, a dog and all of my rats. My cats actually all are very fine with the rats and I'm not worried. But some cats could be very dangerous to rats. In the past, one of my cats got into my mouses cage when I forgot to put the lid back on. It didn't go so well :(

I have a rat room myself but honestly I'd still use a cage. If you need to leave your home for any reason and at night I would just be too worried that the cat may get in or rats get out. maybe locks on the door as well?

Introducing the cats safely to the rats is another option. Meaning u hold the rats the entire time and don't let them actually be together but just let the cat see them. Usually once cats see something they lose alot of their curiosity and get bored with it. Only one of my cats even bothers to notice the rats anymore lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
The cat would see the rats as food,,,also the rats maybe come very afraid sensing a cat near,,and may pull away from you. Do this,,, keep the rats,,wait, till they are gone and get a cat,,,by then you may not want a cat,,,I think it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
umm no. Do not do this. That is animal abuse. It sounds cruel because it is cruel.

The most important thing is just to be ever vigilant. Always make sure the door to their room is shut. And that no rat can escape.

I have 5 cats, a dog and all of my rats. My cats actually all are very fine with the rats and I'm not worried. But some cats could be very dangerous to rats. In the past, one of my cats got into my mouses cage when I forgot to put the lid back on. It didn't go so well :(

I have a rat room myself but honestly I'd still use a cage. If you need to leave your home for any reason and at night I would just be too worried that the cat may get in or rats get out. maybe locks on the door as well?

Introducing the cats safely to the rats is another option. Meaning u hold the rats the entire time and don't let them actually be together but just let the cat see them. Usually once cats see something they lose alot of their curiosity and get bored with it. Only one of my cats even bothers to notice the rats anymore lol
i agree its very cruel

·
Registered
94 Posts
Um. Yeah I need to comment about the shock collar thing too. I don't know what that person was thinking but that is terribly abusive. If you really need to "punish" a cat for doing something, spraying them with a water bottle is a far less cruel alternative. There's absolutely no reason to physically hurt a cat for simply doing its job. If you think electrocuting a cat is the right way to deal with it, you should not have a cat.

Many people can keep cats and rats in the same house just fine. I'm not sure about letting both free roam outside the cage, because that would personally make me far too nervous, plus I've had my cat for 14 years and it would be impossible to keep her locked out of any rooms (a locked door to her is like the door to Narnia and she HAS to go in...). But other people have done it before so you could find a way. I keep my rat cage in my bedroom and the cat is allowed in the same room. She's only bothered them once, she stood up and stuck her big dumb face near the cage, I just yelled at her and she stopped- because my cat is actually trained to listen to me and NOT with a dang shock collar!

If you want to get a cat you'll have to deal with it appropriately. Otherwise don't get one. It would be extremely unfair to have rats, and then adopt a cat and punish it for not acting how you want it to act, when you knew ahead of time that it would be a problem. The rats came first, don't bring another animal into the household if you aren't prepared for it. I know OP was not the one who mentioned the shock collar but I want to make this point clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what kind of food do you buy for your rats? is there rat food or can i put fruits, currently they are feeding only on nuts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
what kind of food do you buy for your rats? is there rat food or can i put fruits, currently they are feeding only on nuts
You definitely do not want to feed them only nuts. That is not a balanced diet, like if you only ate nuts! Plus nuts are very high in fat and protein to be their only food source.

Where do u live? That is going to matter alot in what food are available.

If you are in the US I highly suggest feeding a lab block/kibble made for rats. I prefer oxbow myself but mazuri or native earth are both good brands.
This is the best price for oxbow anywhere (buy the 20lb) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16965

They should also get some fresh veggies as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rats are omnivores which means they eat both plant and meat based food.

We have a home made mix of: rat and mouse cubes, puffed rice, muesli, pasta, banana chips, lentils, hand full of dried dog food, corn flakes etc etc. Then we also get our ratties left over from dinner and breakfast: anything from cooked oats, to pasta bake to roast dinners (they love it!). We then also give them fresh veggies and fruit too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back when I lived with my roommate who wanted a cat, she got a kitten. And silly enough it was my ratties that ended up being top dog of the house they would chase the kitten across the room and the kitten was more afraid of them at first. Eventually they just loved each other and the rats could sleep cuddling the cat, it might be a 1 in a 100 chance but with a lot of treating and a spray bottle you can get the two to get along. Though I still wouldn't let them be anywhere near each other if you aren't around.. just to much could go wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You definitely do not want to feed them only nuts. That is not a balanced diet, like if you only ate nuts! Plus nuts are very high in fat and protein to be their only food source.

Where do u live? That is going to matter alot in what food are available.

If you are in the US I highly suggest feeding a lab block/kibble made for rats. I prefer oxbow myself but mazuri or native earth are both good brands.
This is the best price for oxbow anywhere (buy the 20lb) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16965

They should also get some fresh veggies as well.
I am trying to buy pet food online and came across this http://www.coupofy.com/1st-pet-naturals-coupons . Do they sell original products, because they are providing much lesser price than retail store......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well my man recently got a small dog that just happens to be a rat killer so I keep my rat in her cage and my door tightly shut!! And I take her out when he's not around or with door shut simple I'm not losing my girl to a dog no offensive to anyone I just don't like dogs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After reading a thread on this forum, I started feeding some pineapple to my angels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have a cat, but i have a schnauzer (a breed of dog that is actually bred to hunt rodents) and she gets along just fine with my rats. I'm not sure how trainable a cat is, but teaching one the meaning of "no" or "leave it" would be essential if you want to be able to let your rats free roam while the cat's around. My dog, Lexie, used to try to bite the rats, she actually ended up nipping at my hand while i was holding a rat but after I pretended that she hurt me and told her bad girl, she has stopped even paying attention to them. Lexie and all 4 of the rats have been on my bed together and one of them even nipped at Lexie's paws and nose (as soon as i noticed she was doing it, i took her away) and Lexie completely ignored her. Its just a matter of training your animal to know the meaning of no- and please don't let any type of shock collar be involved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're getting a kitten rather than bringing in an older cat then you can always slowly introduce them when they're young and they should learn to get along quite well as friends (although obviously still always be vigilant). But what about trying one of those sprays people use to stop their pets peeing in certain areas of the house? Maybe you could spray that in the doorway of the room you're keeping the ratties in and see if it stops the cat from wanting to go in. But make sure the spray you buy is rat-friendly before you do that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts