Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've joined this forum because I love and always wanted rats and am close to getting my first pair very soon (I hope)! But here's the problem:

My mom won't let me have rats because she thinks I'll die of some disease. I've been trying to convince her by giving her facts. I ve gotten her to read about pet rats and she s read everything good about them and even admits that she s seen nothing negative. Yet, in her mind she keeps thinking they re street rats and that I'll catch a disease and die...I talk to her all the time and tell her that she's just making up her fears in her head and that she should give them a chance, but she always respond with a variant of "I can t put your life in danger." or "Some opportunities cost lives."
She's freaking out way too much!
Help me please! Maybe I can show her this thread to see if you guys can convince her? I don't know, but seriously, help me. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome the forums!

Maybe if you find a breeder (recommended over pet store rats) and let her speak with them, that would help convince her?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This sounds... uhh... strange. If she's read all the facts and still hasn't changed her mind, then the prognosis isn't good right now. Some people won't be convinced by reality I guess. Clearly all these things about disease are not true... we wouldn't use laboratory rats if they gave humans diseases all the time.

Is it not true, though, that pet rats are more likely to get an illness from a human than the other way round? I don't have stats for that but it certainly seems to be the case.

If I'm honest, perhaps you will have to wait a few years to get a safe happy home for you + rats? I know that isn't a great thing to hear right now, and I'm sorry for that.

Hope things work out well for you,
SSG

·
Registered
16 Posts
I somehow doubt the reason your Mom won't let you get a rat is because of her being worried about dying of a disease. More than likely its her own phobia of rats, my dad was the same way but I live on my own now so there's nothing he can do (read: neener neener Dad)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm moving out to go to college in July and will be living alone in a studio apartment. Do you think itnwould be a good idea for a college student to have a pair of pet rats? I'm havimg second thoughts here.

·
Registered
863 Posts
YES, rats are a great pet for college! (I had one who lived cageless on my desk, but she was exceptional.) Just bear in mind that rats can live up to 3 years, and if you plan to move back home at some point then you'll have a problem. You also want to make sure that wherever you're living allows rats.

Here's another rather sneaky idea: Don't tell people (landlords, parents, etc) that they're rats. Say they're Exotic Long-tailed Hamsters or Miniature Chihuauas. No kidding. I've had to do this before; it's amazing how much a person's perception of something changes based on what you call it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES, rats are a great pet for college! (I had one who lived cageless on my desk, but she was exceptional.) Just bear in mind that rats can live up to 3 years, and if you plan to move back home at some point then you'll have a problem. You also want to make sure that wherever you're living allows rats.

Here's another rather sneaky idea: Don't tell people (landlords, parents, etc) that they're rats. Say they're Exotic Long-tailed Hamsters or Miniature Chihuauas. No kidding. I've had to do this before; it's amazing how much a person's perception of something changes based on what you call it.
Thanks! The contract only says that loud animals that can disturb neighbors aren't aloud and the landlord mentioned some people who live in the same building have small pets so there isn't any problems. My only concern now would be space and fitting in a 2.5t x 1.5ft x 3ft cage into my studio, but I suppose it can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts