Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I could get around the introduction page, but I have been proved wrong ;)
Hi. I'm new here, if that wasn't yet implied :) I plan on adopting a pair or trio of rats from a rescue around me, that is when I find one. I had a dwarf rabbit for eight and a half years, who sadly due to health conditions and age has passed away last year. Now that the summer is over and the year is stable, I figured now was a good time to bring some new additions home. I'm pretty excited! As of now I share my home with a crested gecko, Chilean rose hair tarantula, and a single guppy in a 60 gallon tank (which I am hoping to change soon), oh, and the humans ;) I generally have a tendency to overuse emojis because my superficial resting nonchalant-ness tends to project when I type.
I generally don't consider my full commitment to bringing in a new furry (or scaly, slimy, and crawly) addition official until I buy the housing, which I finally have managed to do tonight. I have found pretty good resources for information as housing, toys, cage accessories, toxic substances, etc., but I've come to realize how stumped I am for food, I see there are quite a few different opinions and I've just reached a point of confusion . I have a whole foods and shop rite within a close distance, so I figured a staple oxbow or other high-quality brand with a homemade grain mix, and fresh fruits and veggies was a good route to take. I am mainly confused on when to feed what, and how often and how much? I know this can vary with age, weight, health and the like. Lately the two animals I have as of now require pretty straightforward feeding schedules-I once tried feeding my crested gecko some oh so delicious gut loaded crickets along with his Repashy, which he kindly had crawl onto his face and refused to acknowledge as food ;). I was also wondering if anyone here knows any rescues or fosters in the Tri-State area, I have heard of the Mainly Rat Rescue and I've seen some other non-specialized shelters that happened to have rats Thanks
I am sure these questions have been answered in previous threads, so I'm sorry for the potential "aww man I've answered that question like a bazillion times!" moment. Happy upcoming Monday

·
Registered
322 Posts
I happily answer the bazillion time questions :) Sooo as far as food goes it varies from person to person. The most readily available high-quality food (as in you can purchase it from many pet stores) is indeed Oxbow, which my girls love. I personally feed once daily and every other day they get a fresh fruit, veggie, and usually yogurt alongside it. About 10% of their diet should be fresh produce. It's said that having a lean or fasting period can lengthen a rats life, some people are largely against this but, I digress. One of my girls usually goes though a little over half a pound of food in a month, but this is different for everyone, I would start with 1/4 a cup a day for each rat until you figure it out for yourself. Some fruits I feed: Apples, blueberries, bananas (all in moderation are good in a diet, Beware of the sugary and fatty banana though) Veggies: Kale, Spinach, squash
Other: Yogurt (greek is very thick so I use just plain vanilla) , Whole grain pasta, baby puffs
Make sure you look over a list of foods rats CAN NOT have just to educate yourself, if you have not already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) I have looked over some lists of "fed with caution" and "never ever feed...". I guess I'll get into the swing of things when I see what they'd like. I have found some senior rats, younger ones, and adults up for adoption so I guess I'll wait before making major food purchases. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with craigslist listings for pets that the just "didn't have time for"? I generally wouldn't go there for animals, but I have yet to find many adoptions in close areas, but it will be at least a month before I'll be ready anyways

1 - 3 of 3 Posts