Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm Kiki. I'm a college student and live in Arizona. Until this morning, I had two lovely girls, Tsuki and Sif, both between 2 and 2 1/2 years old. On Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2 AM, Tsuki very suddenly came down with what turned out to be pneumonia. She had suddenly coughed up thick brownish mucus, and after that her breathing was periodically labored. There were no 24-hour vets in the area that treated rats, so I took her in the following morning the moment the nearest exotic vet opened. $369 later, she seemed stable again and had regained much of her strength. They had given her an IV for dehydration, put her on oxygen and nebulized her with Albuterol, and sent me home with four different medications: Baytril, Doxycycline, Theophylline and Meloxicam. I separated her from hyper Sif so she could relax, and she took all her medicine like a champ for a full day, and seemed to be recovering well. Yesterday, she was eating and drinking more, climbed onto my shoulder, and cuddled with me in my lap for a long while.

Then, late last night, I found her struggling to breathe again. Her mouth hung open, and she was drooling everywhere and trying to prop her head up on things to get more air. It was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced--never in my life have I felt so sick with worry and guilt. All I could do was pet her and cry and tell her how sorry I was. Over the past day I had been reading about the prognosis for pneumonia in older rats, and about euthanasia, and I eventually decided that that was the best course of action in this situation. Because even if they were able to stabilize her again, there's no way I could stand to spend another sleepless night watching my friend suffer that way. I didn't want to keep her on antibiotics indefinitely and wait for the day that it got so bad again that she couldn't recover from it. So, this morning I brought her to the vet and made the difficult decision to say goodbye.

I didn't watch, because I wanted my last memory of Tsuki to be her lying in my lap, worn out but peaceful, as I pet her. I didn't take her body home, but now I am wondering if I should have, for Sif's sake. She doesn't know what happened to her friend, and she seems to be getting a bit agitated and is spending more time burrowed under her blankets asleep. Earlier today, I noticed that she's sneezing pretty frequently. I wish I could give her a new cagemate to keep her company, but I had not been planning on getting more rats after these two, at least not for a long time. :c

I still have about 20 days' worth of leftover Doxy and Baytril, so should I begin giving it to her right away to prevent things from getting worse? The last thing I want is for things to go bad as suddenly as they did with Tsuki. Also, Sif weighs more, so would she require a different dosage for it to be fully effective?

Thank you for reading. It's been an exhausting and heartbreaking few days.

Also, here's a photo of them together. Sif on the left, Tsuki on the right.

Rat Mammal Vertebrate Mouse Muridae
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Beautiful little girls. I hate the feeling that you have somehow now made the right decision. Realize though that you did everything you could for Tsuki and helped her in her last days.

Hopefully someone else will give their thoughts on antibiotics for Sif. I think if she were mine and I thought she was sniffling more than is normal I would go ahead with them, along with giving lots of extra attention and treats to help her get over the grieving time.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top