Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought our first rat, her name's Lara (she's a climber) and she's approximately six weeks old, we bought her from Pets at Home and she was the only rat in the cage which is pretty much why we felt we HAD to have her.

She's incredible and has settled in really well, admittedly it's only been a week but we let her adjust and didn't handle her for the first two days and have had her on the bed everyday since. Whilst she isn't showing any signs of unhappiness we're worried about her being on her own, no matter how frequently we play with her.

I have searched online and have found so much incredible information on introductions but nothing really relating to introducing rats of such a young age so any advice would be INCREDIBLE! :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Consider adopting and introducing her to another rat slowly? Rats absolutely have to have buddies or they become depressed, and luckily there's a lot of info how to introduce rats on here.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to the Rat Forum as well! I brought my first rattie Kate, home about a month ago and recently got her a companion named Raven. The first week I had brought Kate home I made sure that I handling her constantly. Any time that she came up near the doors of her cage I would give her a treat. I now open the door to her cage and she runs right out and enjoys her free-range time with me. As treats I have tested out with cashew nuts; I have even see people feed the Gerber baby cereal snacks to their rats as well and my rats LOVE them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am new to the Rat Forum as well! I brought my first rattie Kate, home about a month ago and recently got her a companion named Raven. The first week I had brought Kate home I made sure that I handling her constantly. Any time that she came up near the doors of her cage I would give her a treat. I now open the door to her cage and she runs right out and enjoys her free-range time with me. As treats I have tested out with cashew nuts; I have even see people feed the Gerber baby cereal snacks to their rats as well and my rats LOVE them!
How did you go about introducing Kate and Raven? I'm looking into buying a second cage, placing them next to each other for a day or two and going from there but I'm interested to hear your experiences :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts