Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my name is Tanya and I live in Colorado with my husband, two kids and a cat. We are about to adopt two (maybe three) rats. These will be our first as a family, but not my first - I had a rat as a kid.

We are adopting from a breeder and have two rats lined up. My heart told me that our rats would be even happier in a larger group, and all the reading I have done seems to confirm this, plus our cage should easily accommodate more rats, so we are waiting to hear back from the breeder about a third rat. My kids have already picked out names for the first two, and are incredibly excited.

The cage should be here tomorrow, and I have already bought pretty much everything else we need, based on the breeders website. My 6 year old has been reading a book all about the best way to care for pet rats, and I have had fun reading through it and getting excited.

Well, I think we are all introduced now - all that remains is for us to pick up our baby rats and then I guess I will introduce them too. I am seriously beyond excited (and if anyone reads this please keep your fingers crossed for me and the original rats that we get a third, cos I think they will have just so much more fun, and everyone can use more fun in their lives).

Looking forward to chatting and sharing stories with you all.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yaaay! This made me so happy. I'm so excited for you, too! I'm awaiting lots and lots of rattie pictures.

Congratulations on your new family members! I hope you get 3. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thank you! We are counting down the days (actually, maybe even the hours - LOL).
:) What kind of cage did you get and what did your son name them?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a cage from off ebay - the MCage I think it is called. It's pretty huge and on a stand (to keep them away from prying cat eyes). The breeder recommends it on her website, so we figured it was worth trying, although it has a wire floor so I need to figure out what to do with that. Originally, we were going to go with the Critter Nation, but the one we are getting is much lighter and higher up!

My son named the black hooded we are getting "pumpkin" (he is only 4, so to him that is a perfectly acceptable name). My daughter (7) named the Blue rat we are getting "Whisper".

·
Registered
624 Posts
I got a cage from off ebay - the MCage I think it is called. It's pretty huge and on a stand (to keep them away from prying cat eyes). The breeder recommends it on her website, so we figured it was worth trying, although it has a wire floor so I need to figure out what to do with that. Originally, we were going to go with the Critter Nation, but the one we are getting is much lighter and higher up!

My son named the black hooded we are getting "pumpkin" (he is only 4, so to him that is a perfectly acceptable name). My daughter (7) named the Blue rat we are getting "Whisper".

Awee, those are adorable names.. Trust me. I have really weird rat names. Examples: Bear Ninja and Cheeseburger-Watson. I definitely think Pumpkin is a suitable name. :3 It shouldn't be that hard to find matts for the flooring, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheeseburger-Watson? All one name? Or two separate? I wanted to call the 3rd Rat (if our application to adopt him too is successful) Watson, but hubby preferred my second choice name of Darwin better, so 3rd ratty will be Darwin unless he looks like something different when / if we get him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, my name is Tanya and I live in Colorado with my husband, two kids and a cat. We are about to adopt two (maybe three) rats. These will be our first as a family, but not my first - I had a rat as a kid.

We are adopting from a breeder and have two rats lined up. My heart told me that our rats would be even happier in a larger group, and all the reading I have done seems to confirm this, plus our cage should easily accommodate more rats, so we are waiting to hear back from the breeder about a third rat. My kids have already picked out names for the first two, and are incredibly excited.

The cage should be here tomorrow, and I have already bought pretty much everything else we need, based on the breeders website. My 6 year old has been reading a book all about the best way to care for pet rats, and I have had fun reading through it and getting excited.

Well, I think we are all introduced now - all that remains is for us to pick up our baby rats and then I guess I will introduce them too. I am seriously beyond excited (and if anyone reads this please keep your fingers crossed for me and the original rats that we get a third, cos I think they will have just so much more fun, and everyone can use more fun in their lives).

Looking forward to chatting and sharing stories with you all.
Getting the kids involved is great I have grandchildren who are just completely enamored with ours. My granddaughter in fact is the one who named them. She has been helping me feed them each day helping them to get the exercise of course. I think this will be a great experience for her in learning to care for things. then sure that your children who are the same. I look forward to reading of your adventures.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cheeseburger-Watson all one name. Haha. And yay!!! You got 3!! Super exciting!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts