Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is just an introduction to my girls, Lily and Luna, and I! Both of my girls were adopted at 8 weeks of age from an extreme hoarding situation in which they were brought up on fruit loops in a Steralite bin. I've had them for a few days now and decided I wanted to join the Rat Forum in case of any help or advice I might need in the future, and also to show of my babies! Both are very tiny, as the Fruit Loop diet stunted their growth quite a bit, they're about the size of a one month old rat baby. But, despite all this and growing up in a not so great circumstance, they're two of the sweetest rats you could ever meet, and I already cannot imagine my life without them. Please feel free to comment or ask questions below, I love to talk about them! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
How adorable. Welcome Lily and Luna! Did they have a hard time getting used to a good staple diet from the crap they were being fed before? My hoarding case boy really struggled. He would lick lab block crumbs off the floor instead of eating a whole piece. It was very sad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How adorable. Welcome Lily and Luna! Did they have a hard time getting used to a good staple diet from the crap they were being fed before? My hoarding case boy really struggled. He would lick lab block crumbs off the floor instead of eating a whole piece. It was very sad.
They aren't too bad about the food I have them on now which is Oxbow supplemented with mealworm, pasta and fresh veg everyday! The biggest problem I'm having with them thus far is they seem to not understand how to use a water bottle, which I've never experienced. Luna is a little ball of joy and LOVES attention, Lily is a little bit more shy and she tends to stay inside her snuggle pouch. I'm working on building up some trust with her, although it can be nearly impossible to entice her to come out of her safe spot. If you know of any ways to help her with this, I'd love to hear them! :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
They're adorable. :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would say to just give her lots of time and patience. There are a lot of really awesome guides available on trust training and bonding activities you can participate in with your rat. I usually start bonding with them right away (petting them in the cage, talking to them and letting them get used to my voice etc). I also offer them lots of delicious treats - usually liquidy things such as baby food on a spoon so that they must stay close to me to receive the noms. If you have a safe bathroom or hallway that you can get rat proofed you can plop them there and sit with them whilst they explore. Just grab a book and read whilst they smell you and eventually figure out you are just a big, friendly giant. I normally do these for at least 20-40 minutes (depending on how it is going) to give them time to not be afraid and come out of their shell a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts