Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a 40 something mom to an 8 year old. We have a small pet/zoo. 2 dogs 3 and 13. A chinchilla- 10, a guinea pig 5, a ferret -6, a macaw 22 a caique 9, a couple of aquatic frogs-4 and some tarantula and a few snakes.

A few weeks ago my husband came home with a rat to feed our ball python. We normally feed frozen thawed that we order in bulk. The shipment was delayed. Sorry but that is what snakes eat. Anyway my daughter and I informed him that if Howard didn't want him we were keeping it as a pet. Long story short our snakes do not like anything that might bite back.

I set Buddy up in a 20x20x30 cage with shelves and fleece. Then I headed back to the shop where he came from and got him a friend.

They are lovely! They both take treats from my hand and let me pet them. Buddy comes to door to great me and let's me hand wrestle him and bounces away and runs back for more. Sickle is more reserved but let's me hold him and since it's only been a few weeks I'm thrilled. If the whole let's get a new pet thing had been planned I would have searched a breeder or shelter..... But it wasn't and my "medium feeder rats" are now ours and living in the living room. Lol the snakes are out in locked cages in the Florida room.

I have been doing lots of research on care and feeding and hope to give them a nice rat life. So far they have been a nice fit. I am doing rat laundry every 3 days with my guinea pig ferret wash. I do not want oders. The whole pee on everything is kind of gross but so far it's not a problem. They are now 189 and 183 grams and have grow quite a bit in the last week's. I have no idea how old they are but we are saying 9 weeks so they can have birthdays for my daughter. She is truly fabulous with them. All the pets are "hers" except the macaw. But I am the main caregiver. She just gives extra love time. She is a gentle quiet child when it comes to small animals.

I hope to learn from your group. Thank you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You're in the right place! And kudos on doing the right thing, and saving the little guy from a truly horrible death in an uneven fight. May he be your best friend for the next couple of years! From the post I see you're an animal person, so that's to be expected. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.