Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saved two fancy rat babies (a black hooded and a blue-gray) from being snake food at a pet store (so much for just getting a betta). Then today I adopted two dumbo dwarf hooded rats and will be adopting a black dumbo rex dwarf next Friday. Get my little colony all set up :) I'm going to be buying an "All living things small animal cage" in a couple weeks and I've ordered some cute hammocks for my boys :) the black hooded is named "Oso." The blue-gray is "Remy." One of the beige hooded dumbos is "Valentine" a.k.a "Val" because he has a spot on his side that looks like a heart. His brother who looks just like him minus the heart is "Cupid" a.k.a "Cue." And the wee black rex will be "Mickey" after "Mickey Mouse" (my 2 1/2 year old named him).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sound adorable! and I love the cage you're getting, I have the All Living Things Multi-level cage for my two girls. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
So lovely! Your Oso looks like my little Praline. Very similar colouration and markings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's very lethargic and isn't drinking. I tried to syringe him some water but he won't take it. When I do the pinch test his skin goes down much slower than his brother's. And stool is loose and very smelly.

·
Registered
555 Posts
He's very lethargic and isn't drinking. I tried to syringe him some water but he won't take it. When I do the pinch test his skin goes down much slower than his brother's. And stool is loose and very smelly.
I would take him to the vet ASAP so they can help him. Is he eating? If he is try and give him some celery or watermelon to give him some water in his system. But I would for sure brig him to the vets. In the meantime keep trying to seringe him some water

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I texted the breeder. He's licking applesauce from his paws atm... Next a little bread to help with the runny poo. She thinks it could just be stress as he was just adopted on Friday.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Any rat that refuses to eat or drink: that's a bad sign. If you don't see improvements by tomorrow please bring him to a vet because that's not normal behaviour.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Is the all living cage big enough for five grown males? Minimum is 2 cu ft per rat.

Sorry to hear he is sick. Even if he improves, I'd pop him to the vet to be safe. Stress three days later isn't really likely. Be careful with bread as it can cause choking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The multi-level is supposed to be the same dimensions as the DCN.

He seems better. If he goes back to how he was I will be taking him to the vet immediately!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts