Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! The name's Quercus Alba, or just 'Kann'.
I've owned rats for the better part of my life and I simple adore the little critters!
It's been a while since my last ones and I just recently got more. This time I wanted to really get involved with my little friends, by actually going on forums to talk about them and to enjoy these magnificent creatures together with other rat lovers!

I believe that's it.
Thanks for reading!

Have a good one~
-Quercus K Alba

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A pleasure to meet you as well! And thanks a bunch!
Ahhh that little picture of that rat all wrapped up in a pink blanket is adorable! Try not to give anyone a heart attack with that pic, mate! x3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Medical Emergency for my rat.
She is under a year old, female and very well fed.
On Wednesday night, I noticed she was a bit weaker and had diarrhea. I separated her from the other rats and put her in a nice clean cage with a slice of apple (she ate a bit of).
I tried to syringe her some water and yogurt in the hopes that would help her but she only took a few mL.

The next day was worse (Thursday). Again tried to syringe her a few mL of water. She is very weak, still has very soft/liquid poop, lot of dark red liquid from eyes, and is having trouble breathing.

It is friday morning, and I have her body cover by a light towel and her head slightly tilted up, with her face exposed. There is a humidifier next to her cage which I hope will help with the breathing. Breathing through her nostrils I can hear that it is very wet.

Before you ask why I don't take her to the ER, I'm a kid with no money and I can't seem to convince my own parents to want to help me take care of my OWN PET! So I'm trying to do what I can. If you can help me diagnose her problem, I would really appreciate it and then I can convince my parents to at least get the medicine.

Please any help is greatly appreciated, she is to young to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should post this in the rat health area. You'll get help a lot faster that way! The site says medical emergencies can be posted immediately.
I did some quick research and the most common cause of respiratory issues in rats is Mycoplasmosis. It sounds like it could also be Streptococcus which effects younger rats. But really, I am not a vet, I can't say anything for sure. She really needs to be taken to a vet. You need to get that through your parents' thick skulls! If she isn't taken to a vet soon, she could very easily pass away. I fear it may already be too late. Please try to convince your parents to take her to a vet! Make sure to stress to them that she could die (and probably will) if they don't!
I'm sorry I can't be of more help. This truly is a medical emergency and an Internet diagnoses isn't really going to help much. She needs a real diagnoses from a vet, and of course the treatment to go with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried but it wont let me since I just joined the forums. I really appreciate your input, Thank you. Maybe you could post this to the Rat health forum for me and forward me the link? I would really help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts