Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, new rat mom, former hater of all rodents here! I'm Peralee, and I've had my first set for about two months when I became an emergency foster home to three nursing moms and their 40 babies. I intended to keep four males from the litters at first, but the minute those Mommies entered my life they stole my heart away. They also made the decision for me to hide three weaned female babies on Adoption Day! So all together I have the mom's, Bourbon, Snowflake, Sweet Stuff, and the young daughters, Sparky, Suzanne, and Brisby.

Photograph Vertebrate Mammal Rat Rodent

I think my oldest girl is Stuff, but since she started off a feeder I can't be totally sure. On my first post here I asked for advice, because she went through serious physical and emotional trauma prior to becoming my baby😢 Bourbon owns my heart but Stuff is my special girl💜
She is a happy and healthy girl but she is still scared to be handled, rarely wants to be touched, and is still working on being brave enough to leave the cage. She's got a lot of quirks, but her adopted sisters take great care of her and pretty much let her have her way, and she's the little one's best buddy! She also hates pictures, so forgive her grump face!

Pet supply Mesh Line Fawn Rodent

Bourbon is my middle child and she's also my Cage Queen, my Alpha rat, and my heart❤ She is always the first one out of the cage and ignores the whole idea of no lol She's bossy, pushy, and possessive and i love her so much.

Pet supply Mesh Gas Metal Cage

My sweet, patient youngest mommy is Snowflake, and she is always this adorable lol She's obsessed with snacks and only gets mad at me for not sharing everything I eat. She's my low-key girl and the cage momma!

Hand Vertebrate Mammal Gesture Grey

Onto the little girls. This sweetheart with the heart on her back is Suzanne! She's half cuddle monster and half demon lol I named her after Crazy Eyes from OITNB, which I started watching the week i adopted everyone because she's such an undercover sweetheart with her heart on her sleeve!

Cabinetry Felidae Television Drawer Rodent

This is Brisby, Stuff's mini-me who follows her everywhere. She is half albino feeder, half fancy rat and she is a total baby. She's named after Mrs. Brisby from NIMH, and her personality is nearly identical to her namesake.

Unfortunately I have yet to get a picture of Sparky lol she's a black hooded rat with a lightning bolt on her back, and she is impossible to catch unless she's up for being held. She's nearly grown, but every time I try to get a pic she is gone!

It's nice to meet everyone, thanks for letting me share!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome to RF💐
I really enjoyed meetimg ( most ) of your girls and love the way you describe them and their chosen names.I have got alot of people over rodent phobia with my rats over the years.The Chinese character for rat means Charm for a reason😉🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just realised the above message could be misconstrued! When I said ( most) it was beacause Sparky is missing😅
I totally understood what you meant, and she really is like catching a spark from a firework because of her sheer speed lol
I actually can't take credit for Bourbon, Snowflake and Stuff's names, and didn't change them because they actually answer when I call them and why mess with a good thing, right?
But when it came to the little girls I just went with what came to me when I interacted with them individually. I was kind of miffed about not getting to choose which babies stayed, but my girls knew what they were doing and I got a happy( and very loud) bunch of crazy girls so it's a win lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a very bad experience when I was seven with a ridiculously aggressive Syrian hamster, and I was terrified of all rodents for a long time, even rabbits! I had multiple bite wounds from the encounter and oh man they hurt. Rats ended up getting lumped into the whole rodent fear, even though my cousin had pet rats that would have considered biting to harm horribly undignified lol
Honestly, it was leaving my 20 year career in retail to become a freelance writer that changed my mind about rats. I landed a great contract with a popular animal blog as one of their content authors, and one of my articles was centered on how dumbo rats are a variation of fancy rats and not a separate species. Imagine my surprise when I learned that pet rats are the gentlest of the pet rodents and rarely bite!

The more I learned about their intelligence, resourcefulness, and empathy, the more I wanted to know. If someone had told me a year ago that I would be the human companion for six "vicious, creepy, scary little vermin" girls I would have accused them of being on drugs, which my cousin who had the pet rats just LOVES to remind me of daily lol
Honestly, this is one of those times where I am very happy to admit I was wrong!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually named her Brisby because she was so fascinated by the movie! I loved the movie as a kid before my rodent fear set in, so I put it on one day during playtime. No one ever told me rats actually watch TV, and mine are particularly fond of true crime docs lol But my baby PEW was totally engrossed for NIMH, she didnt move or look away the entire time, so I started calling her Brisby because every time someone said it she boggled!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts