Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my girls for a few months but I am loving being a rat mom so much! I'm more of a bird person at heart, I've had budgies in the past and I work at a bird shelter, however where I live I can't keep birds because they make too much noise. I had my last two budgies staying with my mom and would visit them when I came home but they have both passed due to old age. I really missed having a pet I could cuddle and come home to. When I friend of mine told me she had rats living with her, I came over to meet them and instantly fell in love. She told me all about how smart they were and how they made great pets and she told me everything I needed to know to get my own furry babies. I did get my first two girls at Petco and I don't know how people here feel about buying rats from pet stores because I know how the breeding operations for them work and it's quite sad, but there is really no place to get rats in Wisconsin. I tried to find some ratteries but all of them I could find had since closed down their breeding operations.

So I got my first two girls from Petco and they were really healthy and friendly from what I could tell. We got a red eyed white and named her Pumpkin and a beige broken hooded and her name is Plum. They are very sweet and funny and they love to do everything together. After about two months of having them I decided to get them a little sister because I wanted them to have another playmate. One of the female rats that Petco had bought from their supplier had given birth so I bought one of her babies when it was old enough to take home. She's a black broken hooded and her name is Willow. Pumpkin took to her right away but Plum was scared of her I guess? Every time Willow would waddle near Plum she would try to get away as fast as she could. But after a few days Plum chilled out and now the all love each other and spend lots of time snuggled up in their igloo house.

I keep them in a modified dog cadge. We used it when my dog was a puppy but it's been sitting in our basement taking up space so I decided it would be perfect for them. We zip tied a bunch of steel mesh onto the outside because the bars were too wide and put in a untreated wooden platform for them to climb on. The bottom had a plastic trey I covered with felt and a little trey with bedding that the potty in (most of the time). But I love most letting them out onto my bed and having them run around when I study or just play on my laptop. They are all fantastic and I'm so grateful to have them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a first time rat parent too! Both my girls are very cute and energetic. It's so nice having new pets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts