Rat Forum banner

Hello from Argentina!

676 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lost_whisper 
#1 ·
I am very happy to join this forum! I still don't have any rats, but I am reading as much as I can since in 2 weeks I'll have a few babies with me. I never had rats, but my experience with rodents in general include gerbils, mice and guinea pigs. But Iove rats so much. I've wanted rats since I was a small child.
I am currently on my way to buy a cage;in here we don't have good brands like Critter Nation or anything like that, so I'll have to customize a used ferret cage until I can make a proper rat palace ( I really like the one in this site: http://www.dapper.com.au/grotto.htm ), but that will take some time, so meanwhile I'll be looking for proper materials.
I'm also deciding if neutering the ratties when they are older, but I am thinking too much because I still don't have them :p

I'll be around reading all your posts so I don't mess anything up when the babies are with me! And I'll post pictures when the kids are with me! I am so excited!

Also niice to meet you!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

#4 ·
Hello! Very nice to meet you. Welcome to the ratforum!
Thank you!

Btw, I am struggling to find a proper cage for the ratties. As I said, I'll have to buy a ferret cage , but I realised that all the cages I found online have a space of 2 cm or more in between bars (0.8 in I guess), which I understand is too big for young rats since they can escape, right?

#5 ·
Yes that's too big and the rats will escape. You can buy hardware cloth (like chicken wire fencing) and zip tie it to the exterior of the cage to reduce the spacing.

#7 ·
Is the Rat Manor available over there?

#8 ·
Sorry for the late answer. In Argentina rats are hardly seen as pets, so there's nothing sold specifically for rats. And things like ferret hammocks are ridiculously expensive (like us$20 and up each, so to speak), so I am in the process of making my own while I wait for the ratties to be grown enough to come home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.