Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there... this is my first time posting at this site. I'm relatively new to rats -- had one (Lydia) about two years ago and another (Sienna) about a week ago. Lydia died from respiratory problems because she was a pet store rat. And Sienna also died from respiratory problems because she was a feeder rat, obtained among others for school. I decided to adopt Sienna because I didn't want to see her put to sleep like the other rats were. Unfortunately, she was just as sick as they were and only lasted about five days while with me.

So now I've got the rat bug -- they've crawled into my heart and shown me how sweet, smart and loving they are. :) I'm in the process of getting two ratty babies from a breeder, but not exactly sure when that is going to happen at this point. I've already gone out toy shopping and am starting to have a stockpile of fun things for when the babies come home.

About me - my name is Debbie, and I'm a second year student in the Vet Tech program. I'm about to graduate in May, and can't wait! It's a tough program but I'm glad I stuck it through.

Nice to meet you all!

Deb

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there! Enjoying all the snow we're getting this winter?? (grin)

Deb

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome! I got the *rat bug* myself after a 2 and a half years and sure enough I had a pair by christmas! Can't wait see some pictures of your girls!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kimmiekins...thanks for the welcome! Yep, that's my sweet lil girl in my icon. She's my 9 yr old choc lab named Abby. People had warned me that choc labs were hyper and spastic but she has been the quietest, gentlest sweetie pie ever since I got her as a puppy. She gets along with pretty much any animal because of how gentle she is. Gotta love our choc labs huh? :)

Deb

·
Registered
234 Posts
*Glares at my black pig in the kitchen.*

*Through gritted teeth* Yes.. we... all l-love.. our.. L-Labradors.. *fake smile*

Lol, hi & welcome!
Are you part of Labradorks.com?

I'm just wondering you feel familiar, there was a Deb on there with a Labrador - Chocolate - Female..

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neophyte, I haven't really decided whether to have boys or girls. Part of it depends on what will be available from the breeder that I would like to go through. Also, I don't have a cage yet because the breeder is going to sell me one that she has available. :)

Deb

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Rae... nope, I'm not part of labradorks.com but that sounds right up my alley! LOL

Deb

·
Registered
321 Posts
VetTech said:
Neophyte, I haven't really decided whether to have boys or girls. Part of it depends on what will be available from the breeder that I would like to go through. Also, I don't have a cage yet because the breeder is going to sell me one that she has available. :)

Deb
Personally I myself prefer to have males.
My two reasons for this are:
1)I want a rattie who would just love to sit and snuggle with me
2)Females can get mammary tumors fairly easily.
I once went somewhere and the girl had 4 female rats and one of her girls had a mammary tumor so big it was dragging on the ground. It made me sick to my stomach seeing that poor rattie like that.
The girl was lucky she wasn't home when I was there otherwise I would have lost it at her I think >_<

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
VetTech said:
Hi Kimmiekins...thanks for the welcome! Yep, that's my sweet lil girl in my icon. She's my 9 yr old choc lab named Abby. People had warned me that choc labs were hyper and spastic but she has been the quietest, gentlest sweetie pie ever since I got her as a puppy. She gets along with pretty much any animal because of how gentle she is. Gotta love our choc labs huh? :)

Deb
She's adorable! :)

You know, it's funny... My Java was the calmest pup I've ever had. Ever! Got him at 8 weeks old. We told everyone, "Our Lab is so calm... Even so young! Yeah, we know we're lucky!" Then, he turned 1. And it's been... well, interesting ever since. He chewed some of our siding off our house! I wish I were kidding! We're sure it's all because we bragged when he was itty bitty. Cursed! :lol: Can't wait until he's about 3 or so!

Here's some pics for you. :)

As a pup: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vandora/puppy Java/

Now:
http://www.23hq.com/Kimberlymarie/photo/2707188/original
http://www.23hq.com/Kimberlymarie/photo/2707187/original

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awwww Kimmie... he was a cute puppy!! I can't see the current pictures. When I went to the link you gave me, it said something about "the monster is sleeping... please be patient while we wake it up."? Would love to see what he looks like now! :) I can't believe he ate some siding off of your house -- yikes!!! Did he end up needing surgery?

Deb

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm soooo glad to hear that he didn't swallow any of it and was ok!!! I did try the links again and this time they worked. He's BEAUTIFUL!! :)

Deb

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kimmiekins, you pushed me over with laughter! Nice one! *Falls tumble over off of chair and laughs so hard she cries.*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts