Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! My name's Aurora and I reside in the armpit of America: the one, the only, Indiana. Life isn't so bad, except everyone is on the fringe of either being extremely "country" or extremely "ghetto". I'm one of the few, er, alternative kids, so to speak. Stuck in the prime of my teenage years, (about to be 17 years of age), I'm also on the fringe; the fringe of childhood and adulthood. I've had to make a few grown up decisions early on in life, as I've never been one who had life spoon fed to them. I've currently just acquired my first two rats, Rufus and No Name (he obviously isn't named yet). I'm looking for a community where I can begin to be accepted with my rattie friends, as where I live isn't the place. Join me on my wild adventure of learning and loving (how cliche.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello my name is Lisa and I am new to this forum and new to being a rat owner. I hadn't meant to become a rat owner but I am thrilled that I did. I got my little Luna because of some strange circumstances. One of our neighbors bought her to feed to his snake. Apparently brave Luna had other ideas and attacked the snake. So our neighbor threw her in the trash, she was still alive. My husband knowing that I am a animal lover came to get me. I looked into the trash to see this adorable white rat with her big eyes staring back at me. I fished her out and she wedged herself between my stomach and arm. She was terrified but never tried to bite me. Needless to say it was love at first sight for me. I went and bought her a home and all the necessary things to go with it. I have had her now for about a week and was just wondering how soon do I need to get her a friend? I know they are very social so I am concerned about that. I have been spending time with her every day, letting her sit on my shoulder while I clean her cage and redo her water and food. We sit together for a couple hours and then I put her back in her cage for a bathroom break and then take her back out an hour or so later to go have play time. She is becoming more comfortable with me, which makes me very happy. I have done as much research as I can about these beautiful little animals, but still have questions. So any advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry that my post was so long!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello! :) My names Akita I'm also from Indiana! Nice to meet you and welcome

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi my name is Lisa. I am from Colorado but live in Lawrence ks. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my rats in a strange circumstance, too! Actually, a girl ran up to me at a fest on the fourth and handed my first rattie, Rufus, off to me. Her mom was going to feed him to her snake, so she wanted to get rid of it, and she knew me from Facebook and knew I already had a zoo in my house, therefore being a good candidate. You should have seen my moms face! I was looking into research about it, and I too saw they needed company, so my sister and I messaged a girl who breeds in our town. She said the rat we got from that girl at the fest was actually bought off of her, and we bought one of his brothers, Ron, to accompany him. Rufus seems a lot happier now with his brother, as before he would seem to have anxiety being alone in his tank. I brought him everywhere I went with me so he wouldn't be lonely, but still I knew he needed another rat, as they normally house in packs in the wild. I think your best bet would be to get another.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for the reply back about needing to get my little Luna a friend. I am grateful that you understand the circumstance of how I came to have her. I don't know where he bought her. So I did go to Petco and looked at some rats there. My little girl seemed more anxious today and a bit uptight until I held her again. So my husband and I decided that we would go back and buy the female rat we were looking at and hope that they become good friends. I know the first day is the most stressful, so I plan on standing guard to make sure they don't hurt each other. If there is any other advice you can give I will gladly take it. Like I said I am new to this whole thing and I just want to go about it in the smoothest way possible! Thanks again for your input!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts