Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I became the unsuspecting caretaker of a large, male, red-eyed white rat, named ******, when a visiting family member decided to quickly leave and left me with one of his pet rats. Oy! It's now day three with the little guy -- well, he's not exactly little...he's quite large...or fat, if you will -- and I'm trying to learn quickly how to care for him. It's a stressful situation with the family member so I don't know if he is coming back at all. And he took the cage mate with him so ****** is alone. I've been doing quite a bit of online research. My personal experience with my bearded dragon has taught me that general pet care sites can give quite a bit of misinformation. I'm hoping I can get accurate, knowledgable information from your forum. :) Right now ****** is in my bearded dragon's old 20L tank with aspen bedding, no sleep housing (I did put in a cardboard box shelter this morning but he's already eaten most of it up), chews or play toys. My family member left cat/dog food, tons of nasty ranch flavored sunflower seeds (don't worry, I won't feed them to ******), peanuts (in shell) and some yogurt drops (though from my reading rats are actually lactose intolerant?).

******'s temperament is an anomaly to me, still. When he was with his cage mate -- a hooded rat -- I was told that ****** was the anti-social one, always hoarding food, would pick fights (except I always saw the two snuggling) though he has a bunch of bite wounds on his back. I was told the reason why he's so "fat" is because he hoards foot...the other rat was quite slim, docile and loved to be held. ****** seems a bit nervous, shakes when I hold him, but he's never bit me and is extremely sweet when I pet him whilst he's in the tank. I'm slowly trying to win him over though I don't really see anything wrong with him, other than to me he seems neglected or simply has a different temperament than what the family member wanted. Oh. I believe ****** is about 10 months old? Not sure about that.

Anyway, that's the basic gist of it. I'll keep perusing the forum for a bit before I start posting. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! Igloos make a very nice shelter. And they are plastic so it won't be so hard to chew up. Petsmart sells them for not much money at all. The bedding I use (you don't have to) but my rat seems to really like it, is Care Fresh. As for winning your rat over, maybe you can give him treats when you're about to take him out. Like, hold the treat and let him come to you. Good luck with your new rat :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts