Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I just got my first rat 2 weeks ago for my kindergarten classroom. The kids voted to name him Oreo (although Olaf was considered, I vetoed that one). I'm completely terrified that I'm not doing something right or his cage isn't big enough. As a huge animal lover, I just want him to be happy. The kids LOVE Oreo!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too cute! You should consider getting him a friend if you can.
I really want to get another, but I'm afraid my cage is too small for two. I don't want to put two rats into a small, hostile environment. Hopefully after the next pay check. I keep checking craigslist for deals.:cool:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I actually think that the rat lodge might be a better option (and cheaper!). The rat tower only has a depth of 14 inches which is pretty narrow for a rat cage and the rat calculator agrees. http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml You can plug dimensions into this and it'll tell you how many rats a cage can hold though I always recommend one less than the capacity of any cage. Just remember to change it to imperial for your calculations!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update! I got a way bigger cage today for a great price of craigslist. After thorough cleaning I got Oreo a buddy. He's so happy and keeps hopping around. The kids are going to die when they see them tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Make sure you keep us updated on how the rats are doing in the classroom! I'm a preschool teacher myself, and I'm always curious to see how classroom pets take their new group of best friends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure you keep us updated on how the rats are doing in the classroom! I'm a preschool teacher myself, and I'm always curious to see how classroom pets take their new group of best friends.
Oreo's doing great! He's really active in the morning so after the kids eat breakfast I'll call 3-4 to watch for 5 minutes. Butters sleeps a lot throughout the day, but will occasionally get some food and water. The 2 ratties love each other though and it's so adorable. I feel so bad I kept Oreo alone for 3 weeks, but I think he's forgiven me.

One of our groups during Reading Rotations is list writing. I made up one for our pets. Edgar is our Betta Fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts