Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my first rat two weeks ago. She had been a feeder that the snake didn't eat, so she was kept as a pet, but was pretty neglected.
She came in a very small cage, so am working on getting her a new cage. She is pretty unsocialized, but she is getting better with me.
Everything I have read suggests she needs a companion. I have been told by one rat rescue that a neutered male would be best, but I don't think finding one in my area will be very likely, and my vet does not neuter rats.
Would anyone share their thoughts? Shoud I try another female, or just give her as much attention as I can and allow her to be alone?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hello fellow PA member! Yes, a friend would be best. With the right intros, a female rat will get along with other female rats over 12 weeks of age. You dont "need" a neutered male rat, another female is perfect!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I guess I will keep working on upgrading my cage, and keep my eyes open for another girl needing a home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi! I'm also from PA :) In my opinion, it completely depends on the rat. I had a pair of rats who were both female and the one rat was absolutely miserable, she wouldn't let me touch her, she wouldn't leave her hut, she barely ate, I honestly think she was depressed. Then, after about six months, her cage mate unfortunately passed and within 24 hours the miserable rat was up and running and cuddling with me and was as happy as could be.

She was probably one of the happiest rats I had ever seen. However, I did give her a lot of love. My favorite was I used to play my guitar for her and whenever I did she would sit on her ledge near me and close her eyes and chatter her teeth so loud and she just seemed so happy.

That being said, my one pair of boys I have now would not survive without each other. They hardly ever leave each others sides and have always been like that. Currently, one of them is sick and the other is very protective of him and brings him food and is just so sweet.

My advice would be to completely socialize her with you and build up trust and if she seems lonely, then get her a friend!:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a nice cage, hopefully will be able to pick it up today. There seem o be quite a few rats that need rehomed on my local classifieds, so I will keep checking those and if any seem a good match, will try it. I am leery because when I adopted my guinea pigs several years ago, I was told they should always be kept with others, but mine fought like crazy and I ended up with all 4 in separate cages. Not wanting to do that again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts