Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Paulo, and as the thread name says, I hail from Portugal.
In my past, I've owned little hamsters and gerbils for quite some years. I knew about pet rats and was always fascinated with having one, but it proved quite the challenge to actually find one. Last year, I was walking with my girlfriend and we saw a pet store. I always insist we visit those, just in case.

That is when I met Hades, a 6 month male rat, all alone in a tiny glass cage. I could see how miserable he was there, and the first thing I asked the owner was if I could hold it. He was obviously very scared, I was probably the first human to hold him in a while, since most people only find disgust when looking at a rat..
The pet store owner told me he was the last of his litter, and the others were all sold as snake food. I understand that's the cycle of life and all of that, but I couldn't bear even imagining this little critter having such a fate, so I was more than happy to bring him to my home.

It has been a whole year since then, and I'm proud to say he's my best friend, even when he decides to steal and hide all of my socks. Soon, I'll put up a few photos.

Looking forward to meeting many of you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Meet Hades! These days, this little ratty weighs around 400 grams, but still remains quite the athlete! He enjoys stealing various things from my desk, chew on my playstation controller and licking my fingers.
While he is very loving and curious, he is also frightened very easily. Sometimes I only need to lift my arm up for him to bolt off under some piece of furniture.
He can be quite noisy in many creative ways when he wants my attention, and even though he doesn't always come when called by his name, I think his personality and charm are just right ^^
Mammal Rat Vertebrate Mouse Mink Gerbil Snout Rodent Muridae Chinchilla

·
Registered
67 Posts
It makes me so happy that you saved this adorable one from the pet shop. The love and kindness you gave Hades and are continually giving him is surely being returned to you everyday you both are together. <3 By the way that close up shot of him is too cute LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the kind replies. Even my parents who only tolerate him being around have been showing signs of actually liking him. This only goes to show rats can very easily move hearts.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's so cool you are here from Portugal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts