Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm from the UK with two male rats both about 12/13 weeks old. One of my males, Monty, has started biting the other one, Peanut, but I never catch him at it. I've never seen them behave aggressively towards each other or myself. They usually sleep together and seem to enjoy each others company. But I've started finding small bite marks on Peanut's face and back. He never seems to be in pain and I clean them with warm salty water and they heal pretty quickly. I really don't want to have to separate them or neuter them either...I was thinking maybe the cage is too small?

Attached is an image of the cage. (For some reason it wont upload the right way round, sorry!)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I checked on that and it does say it's big enough but I feel like only just. Perhaps I should invest in a bigger one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello :) Your cage does look a bit small. The first cage I owned was a savic zeno 2, which I really recommend for two boys. You can buy it fairly cheaply from zooplus I think.
Good luck!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Check out the various treads on mites... Mites damage is often confused with fighting injuries. The damage is usually to the face, and neck areas whereas fighting injuries are usually to the rump and thighs. Do keep in mind mites are too small to see without a microscope, you will never see one.. If your rats are scratching they are most likely injuring themselves and all you have is mites... It's easy to cure with Revolution... I think it goes under a different name in the UK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the mites thing seems quite likely! I checked online and the images look really similar. also makes more sense, thanks!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Believe it or not, mites are very commonly confused with fighting injuries.

Best luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is a bit small. Perhaps you could buy them a larger cage? Check thrift stores, its where I get all mine! Much cheaper. Maybe some wood chews and toys, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts