Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im new with rats. i bought a small male and female. female is more active/not afraid to come to my hand to take a treat. the male rat seems to be scared and wont even react to my hand being there is there something i can do to help him? got a few other questions...... so its been 2 days with these rats what do i do with the rats when i need to clean the cage and theyre not trusting me yet? like should i open the cage into a big box ? without touching them? i need some little advice here thanks and my last question i dont know which one of the two. but one of the rats makes a noise like if he/she is sniffing out like a dog but seems healthy and happy. i believe its the female one doing it. she doesnt make the noise when shes sleeping or chilling in her castle home. can someone Please help me out thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Is your male or female neutered/spayed? If not please separate them asap and prepare for babies :(

For cage cleaning if you do not have a rat proof area then I would just put them in a carrier or spare cage. You should be able to pick them up to transfer them. I don't suggest dumping them from the cage into a box.

Some rats sniffle alittle bit at a new home with changing of air, bedding, smells. If it doesn't clear up you will need to take them to a vet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: dont believe its normal plus i dont need a famale with male especially because i dont want babies. but i would have kept her if she wasnt "sick" so i called petco and the lady said to just return her . so im going to do that now :( she was so playful and wasnt scared of me like the male rat. but ill be picking up another male rat i guess and i hope **** be ok with him lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whoops just posted an update post if youd like to read that. and i actually put the box they gave me for her attatched to the cage entrance with a treat and i got her in there with care. i really like how shes confident and playful but im not risking geting a sick rat ontop of having babies lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: returned female mouse whether she was sick or not. got another male. they were play fighting it looked like? i hope. and now theyre both calm cuddling/napping together. does this mean theyll be ok now? i mean theyre both "small" rats so however weeks that is. they were a lil energetic and actually friendly around my hand as i was picking up the poop and placing it in a lil litter dish i bought them. hopefully i cna get them to poop in there if i keep moving the turds in it. when they get bigger ill invest in a bigger cage. im really excited for what these rats will bring to my life in the near future. i cant wait for them to trust me :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah... that sounds like they were having a good time getting to know each other and have now settled in for a nap with their new friend. I use play time on my bed as a good time for my new rats to get used to me. I'll make a little cave out of pillows and blankets so they have a place they feel safe and I'll hang out at the other end of the bed. After a while one will get curious and poke his head out then come down to investigate me, usually the other one will follow soon after.

On the first few times they'll usually dash back to their pillow cave before poking their heads out and doing it all over.

Best advice is to not rush it. Let them get used to having free range of the bed and being able to chase each other over and through the blankets (best part is that it changes from day to day so they don't get bored... new blanket tunnels, new pillow passages). It's been a month with my newest pair of boys and the growing trust is obvious but still growing. Keep in mind that to them you are HUGE and you are their first person. Every other people they've known thus far has been the breeder and shop clerks so there hasn't been a chance for them to bond with anything except their litter mates and other peers the same age.

Some people believe their affection and socialness is a result of their intelligence, and that probably has something to do with it, but I think they just understand care and affection at a base level and respond to that. I call it 'Love'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts