Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the forum but have had full size rats as pets for years. Sadly my wonderful, kind, and cuddly rat Mew passed away last night and I was thinking of getting a dwarf rat to replace her. I have read online that dwarf rats can be a lot more nervous and not as cuddly as full sized rats, and I was wondering if anyone has ever had a dwarf rat as a pet and if so how easy it was to bond with them. All the rats I have had in the past liked to sit on my shoulder while I worked on the computer so I was also wondering if dwarf rats enjoyed doing that. I have had wonderful experiences in the past with full size rats but I just thought a dwarf rat might be a fun change this time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I personally don't think dwarf rats have any different personalities than normal sized rats. I mean, of course all rats have different personalities, but they don't seem any less cuddly to me. I have had a dwarf rat. He was my "old man" and he recently passed. He was just the sweetest and would cuddle up to me. So I guess it just depends on the rat? I know that mine was normal so I would say they are just as normal as any other rat. Heehee. If you can find one I'd say go for it. They are just so cute. I hear they don't live as long but I believe it depends on the breeder and the longevity in their lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for letting me know about your experience with them! I'm so sorry to hear about the recent passing of your rat. I think I am going to give dwarf rats a try.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only problem that I had when I first brought home my dwarf rats is that because they were nervous, coming to a new home and all, they could hide very easily. My big standard rats couldn't hide if they wanted to :p Like all ratties however they quickly adjusted to their new surroundings and became confident. I have 5 dwarf ratties right now, 2 girls and 3 boys. 3 of them are energetic and playful but cuddly when they are worn out and the other two are complete lap rats! So basically what I am saying is that their personalities will not be different than the average rattie, just be sure to adopt them from a place that instills good temperament as per usual and they should be just as friendly! The only difference (obviously) is size. They can sneak under my door while my other rats cannot, they can hide in toilet paper tubes while my other ratties can just fit their faces in! Prepare and all should go well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts