Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I just brought home 3 ratties last night. I had my puppy at a terrier trial and when it was over I asked what they were going to do with the rats they used for the go to ground and superearth. Well - they happened to be looking for homes for them so how could I say no! The 3 rats were being kept in a 10 gallon tank with dog food for food LOL

I had many rats when I was growing up and they are just the most wonderful pets. So I quickly set up a cage and went back to get them.

Well - one is so pregnant she's about to pop! The other is a male, and there is a darker female that I assume has to be pregnant also.

I am hoping I can get some help identifying their colors.

Here is the male:

The pregnant female:

And the other female...I LOVE her color and she seems to be the friendliest. I am fairly sure her eyes are black but I want to let her settle in before I start trying to hold her.

They are very scared right now and are just hiding in the shoebox I put in their cage. I ordered another cage and I'm hoping the momma can wait till tonight (when it's supposed to be delivered) to have her babies so I can separate the male before that happens!!!

So I was hoping to get some help on their colors. I originally thought beige for the hooded and the male but now I am thinking maybe fawn? I don't think there would be silver fawns from pet store rats but they almost remind me of a silver fawn I had years ago.
And I have no idea about the other female...buff? lilac? blue-beige? HELP!

I will post pics of the babies when they come. I'm pretty excited to have some baby ratties again!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would say the first two are buff. The last one looks like it has ruby eyes rather than black and so could be cinnamon (if there's ticking) but will more than likely be beige. They look kind of fawn-ish too though, especially the first two which are much more orange than the last one. I'm pretty sure the last one is beige though :)

And for my own curiosity...what are go to ground and superearth?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops looks like we posted at the same time!

Here is a link explaining GTG
http://www.terrier.com/trial/gtg.php3

Basically there is a small tunnel with turns, and bars at the end. On the other side of the bars is a rat in the cage..the dogs are supposed to go through the tunnel and bark at the rat at the end.

Superearth is a very complicated version of it with lots of false dens and dead ends.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had no idea jack russells were originally bred for fox hunting! Wow, you learn something new every day :D Are they supposed to mark their quarry instinctively then, or do you have to train them to do it before the trial?

Glad those rats found safe homes with you though :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well - it is supposed to be instinct but you can improve upon the instinct with training...but if the instinct's not there I don't think you can work the dog. I am pretty new to the whole terrier scene though!

I heard some stories yesterday about the top competitors "feeding the dogs" at the end of the tunnel when they train at hone..in other words letting them kill the rats. I would love a fast time...but not at the cost of the rat's lives :( My pup's time was 18 sec, the rumored "rat feeder" was 3.8 sec. Of course it was my guy's first time out but I don't think he will ever get that fast!!!

Now that I think about it - there was a 4th rat and I *believe* he was agouti. I didn't really get a good look at him up close though. So that's making me think the first 2 are fawns..I can't seem to find a definition or examples of buff online though. Is it called something else in the US?

I could have sworn the 3rd was something other than beige, she seems really gray-ish. I will try to get a better shot, maybe it's the light or maybe I'm just seeing things :p

YAY the other cage just got here, gotta run and set it up :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I just got done setting up the cage and snapped a few more pics of the darker one. I am pretty sure her eyes are black...even with the flash close up and in the light they never showed any red.

And the boy:

·
Registered
730 Posts
The boy and the first girl are fawns, the last girl is a beautiful beige :D.

As they're pregnant (or most likely are) you'll need to get a tank for each of the girls to be in until the babies are a few weeks old. The male should either be neutered (to prevent more babies) or a male from one of the litters kept to be a cagemate for him.

CongRats on the beautiful rescues, and best of luck with what is promising to be many, MANY eepers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you ;)

Momma looks like she is about to pop, she can't get comfortable and is sitting on her tail atm with her back feed pointing up in the air, looking like a blimp. I am thinking she will have the babies tonight. I just hope she's not too stressed out and knows she's safe now. i don't want to stress her out and keep checking on her...so I'm just going to check on her in the morning and hopefully have some babies!

Don't worry, I've got her in her own tank right now..the other female and male are in a new cage I got. They will have to be together till this weekend when I can get a 3rd cage set up for the girlie. The way I look at it..she's got to be pregnant already so a few more days with the male won't make a difference.

I'll post again when we have some babies!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'm so jealous you found such beautiful ratties! :) congrats on the amazing find! and about your dog, i LOVE terriers, and i love watching those "dirt dog" championships. very rarely they will show them on animal planet during the spring when they are doing all the other dog shows, but it's so different i only remember catching it a few years ago. :)

anywho, congrats again on the rats, and good luck with the babies! we expect LOTS of pictures. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
8O They really were ready to pop!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts