Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is Caroline I'm a first time rat owner and the rat mom of Boris and Gus! My boys are 4 months old and are super energetic! Recently our roommates kid (6mo old) was looking at them through the cage I told my roommate please watch your son Dev (my boyfriend) feeds them through the bars and I keep telling him to stop. She said alright and continued not to watch her son. He puts his fingers through the cage (mind you Boris loves everyone and kisses everyone) Boris grabbed his finger and bit it. So she called 911 and the cops ambulance fire department everyone came out they told us to bring the baby and Boris to the hospital and if the baby had rabies we would have to put Boris down. we brought Boris home from the hospital and since then (this happened on Wednesday night) Gus hasn't played cuddled or ate with Boris any ideas on what to do? I'm kind of worried. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe one of the more experienced rat owners can say if this makes sense, but could it be that maybe Boris smells different than he usually does so Gus doesn't recognize him? It just kind of reminded me of a time years ago when we had cats. One of them got out and ran away for a few days. When he came back, he must have smelled like the outdoors because our other cat was growling low in his throat and acting like a stranger had invaded his territory. It took a couple of days before things were back to normal and they were best buds again. All that to say that a lot of animals recognize each other by scent more than sight. Oh, and no offense, but I just have to say that your roommate sounds like an idiot. What a ridiculous overreaction to a minor event. I'll bet your rats have more common sense than she does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts