Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought two baby boy dumbos yesterday from a breeder. They're my very first rats I've ever owned, they were weaned just a few days ago. They're very small, both fit in one hand. I've fallen in love with them already, and I think they like me, too; they keep licking me, bruxing, and climbing on me or they'll just curl up together in my hands.
One is berkshire and the other is hooded with an offset blaze. I can't tell exactly what color they are, both seem dark greyish, but the berkshire seems slightly brownish and the hooded one looks a little bluish, but they're both still very fuzzy so I suppose it will be easier to tell when they get bigger?
I haven't thought of names, yet. Right now they're in the living room, I had them in my room, but then I read that it would be better for them to see and hear all the sights and sounds of a busy house so I brought them out and took their hiding box away, but now they're just hiding under a sock I have in there, with their little heads poking out... I plan on buying some fleece to make hammocks for them sometime in the next week.
Any advice would be appreciated, even with all the studying I did I'm still a bit unsure, I just don't want to get anything wrong. And I'm not entirely sure how I should go about handling them? I tried holding them both but it's difficult to keep hold of both of them when they crawl all over me, so now I hold them one at a time and talk to them, pet them, ect.
Also, they are sneezing a bit, but seem fine with clear noses and bright eyes and they don't make any noise other than the sneezing, I heard it's common for them to sneeze for the first few days, but how long until I should be concerned if they continue? Their bedding a shredded paper type, I didn't notice any dust in it.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Give them a week to settle with the sneezing. If it continues or gets worse, definitely take them to a vet. As for handling them, the more you do with them, the more confident they will be around you. So hold them, play with them, feed them treats, cuddle with them - build lots of positive associations. Sounds like you are on the right track already. Having play time in a small, rat proof area is a good way to start. Most people choose a hallway or bathtub for this. If you are the only thing of interest in the room, the babies will stay near you and seek you out for comfort. Once their confidence grows you can expand this space and begin adding enrichment to the area. Good luck and make sure to post pictures. Welcome to the ratforum by the way!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I decided to name the berkshire one Knuddles, because he's just the cuddliest little guy I've ever seen, he seems to like curling up under my chin and giving me little kisses, so cute! c: I'm thinking Nibbleton, Remington, Fritz or Rudy for the other one, or something ending with ton/leton Tumbleton? I don't know. They're having fun redecorating.

Oh, and as for me, I like to draw, and I'm getting into watercolors. I think I'll draw my boys... And I like cooking, maybe when they're a little older I'll make them some rat friendly cookies. The lady that I bought them from told me not to give them any treats for a couple weeks, because they're still getting used to eating real food. They seem to like the Oxbow pellets I bought them, which is good, because there is no way I'm going to feed them those mixes with all the seeds and corn in them. :I

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't suggest taking their hiding box away. Your rats could get stressed out from being exposed. Are they sleeping in the sock?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They sleep under it, and sometimes crawl inside. I put the box back in though, it's getting a little cold in the house. Don't want my babies to freeze. They're cuddled up sleeping in it right now, with the sock in the box.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh okay thats good! I thinks rats look cutest when they sleep!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.