Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm planning on adopting a couple of female Dumbo babies. I've never had a rat for a pet, though I've kept hamsters, guinea pigs, dogs and rabbits. I have a few questions to start with and hope that someone can help answer them.

1. Are rats afraid of heights? I.e., will they stay on a table (desk or dining table height) if I let them run around on it? I read that some people have "table time" with their rats and was wondering if you had to train your rat to remain on the table during play time?

2. Do rats prefer to sleep in a hammock or a hut?

3. What are some of your rats' favorite foods and treats?

4. What are some of your rats' favorite activities?

Hope to hear from you guys? Thanks in advance! :D

Munchies

·
Registered
966 Posts
I will answer from my experience: #1 : rats are not afraid of heights ( they love to climb), generally most rats will stay on a table that is high up, however some can be little daredevils. 2: it depends on each rat. Some of my rats like hammocks, others like huts, tunnels and cubes better. It come down to the individual. I would have a few of each so they have options to choose from. 3: my rats will eat anything I give them. They love carrots, cheerios, peas. 4: they love free range time. They like to climb and chase each other. Like to play in boxes. 5: I work at a vet so it isnt terriblely expensive for me but I have spent a few hundred $ in vet costs on them. Which if I didnt work there and get a slight discount , it would have been much more. Hope it helps alittle :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
1, once a rat works out what is down then they will no longer be put off by heights. You do better keeping then in one place if the floor is dark as they can't see it as well. They do Useually suss it eventually though

2, depends on the rat and how you bring them up. i don't give babies enclosed huts add it helps them become more confident facing the world so mine don't feel the need to hide in houses as adults. Rats that aren't brought up like this are sometimes more fond of houses. Cold weather tends to encourage the user of enclosed houses.

3, mine like lots of things and only tend to get healthy stuff but adore it. Probably thete fave occasional treat is a whole hard boiled egg in there shell or some cooked bones. Both great for them and their health if not over fed. To be honest though mine act like there dry mix is the most amazing thing in the world. i think they think they are half starved lol.

4, my youngsters love running on the wheel, they all love digging and pea fishing. eating is probably there fave thing for most of them lol but Other than that free range with occasional scritches is ratty heaven

5, it depends on the rat. Some have cost me nothing, some getting on for £500. On average is probably around £100 per rat and mine are generally pretty healthy lads. Round here though your talking about £25 for a consult and £10 for meds. i an also fairly well prepared and Peru experienced so can treat minor issues at home

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. Ive never had one purposefully jump off of something onto the floor. I have heard of some people having them jump though.

2. It depends on the rat ive had them like both. One of mine loves hammocks and hanging cubes.

3. Baby puff treats and scrambled eggs are there favorite treats. Mine eat Oxbow as there main food

4. Not really sure what you mean like I said one of mine loves laying in hammocks and cubes and for some reason loves our dinner tray

5. It can vary some vets charge more and some areas have higher costs. It is usually around $50 for just an exam though and I am paying $158 for an exam and a neuter for one of my rats tomorrow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello! Thanks for your reply, LeStan82, Isamurat, and DanielBryan! :D It seems that each rat really do vary in their likes and dislikes when it comes to type of shelter and activities, huh? :rolleyes: I'll look into a hammock and hut to start with, and variety of healthy foods for them to pick from.;D My potential babies aren't even born yet and I'm already making all sorts of plans. :p

That was very interesting information about the dark floor! I've got dark hardwood floor so hopefully that will help. :D I read somewhere that someone was able to train his/her rats to stay on their play tables. They also had a dog or cat running around on the floor that they were afraid of, though. I'd really prefer to keep them on a table when they're out of the cage rather than have them run all over the place and into nook and crannies where I can't get to them. Not to mention peeing and pooping all over the place and chewing on things. :( I've never had rats, though, so I don't know how they will behave (eg. come when called, can be toilet trained to only go in a litter box, etc). I've had hamsters and once, they broke out of their cage and crawled into the air vents. It was quite a lot of working getting them out. :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
My boys love their hammock.
But some prefer their tunnels.

It really depends!

My guys have been "conditioned" to sit on my recliner with me, so I've been really lucky with that as I'm super lazy. :3

My boys also absolutely LOVE yogurt. (It's really good for trust training, too if they're still hand shy.)

Welcome to the forum! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.