Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had rats pretty much all my life. I grew up with them and have 2 now as an adult. I had never heard before about litter box training them. So many of you do this? If so how do you go about it? And have you all been successful? Also I have a 1 year old male do you think it would be too late.to try and train him? Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Litter box training, for myself, has always been super easy and helps a lot with keeping the cage clean. Simply get a litter box (either one off of Amazon or just a square cat one, if your cage is big enough) and put some bedding in it and cover it with the grate. I have used recycled paper. Take poo from the cage and put it in the box. Do this each time you see poo out of it. Eventually the rats will pick up and do their business there! You can also get a 'pee rock', just a rock the size of your fist, and place it in the litter box as well. This will draw them to urinate on it so the smell will be absorbed in the litter box also. No one really knows why this works so well, lol. Your male shouldn't be too old to train! Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've done the same as Binky suggests :)

Now I'm also trying a new thing - they never learnt to pee in the litterbox, but I got an advice. To keep one shelf absorbent (I use a cheap doormat that's popular among rattie folks where I live) and a pee-rock on it. The other shelves are plastic. Hopefully this can make them use the absorbent shelf as a pee-shelf, and I'll just have to wash that mat more frequently rather than throwing everything in the washer several times a week. :)
They still have hammocks etc of course, so maybe it won't work. But maybe it will...
Bottom of cage is shredded paper, but they rarely pee there for some reason.

They at least keep the poops in their litterbox.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts