Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not new to rats. I wanted to own rats when I was 14 in 2004, but my mom thought they were gross. My biology teacher at the time new of my fondness for rodents and during my senior year in 2008, she came into my senior bio class to "introduce" a rat one of her freshman students couldn't keep. Honestly, I think she purposefully put him in my way.

I talked to my mom about it and asked if I could have him as a graduation gift since the college I had been accepted to allows students to have pets in specified dorms and my dorm assignment was pet friendly. I was so happy when she said yes. And, Napoleon, my first rat, came home in a teeny tiny cage. As part of my graduation gift, my mom purchased me a ferret cage I had found on sale at Petco and made for much better rattie accomodations.

Napoleon was about 11 months old when I got him, and he never got along with other rats. Unfortunately, he had to be put down Easter 2009 for a tumor on the lung. The summer between my freshman and sophmore year, I purchased a champagne, red eyed boy and his blue hooded brother. I had them for a year before needing to rehome them. I was moving cross country to live with my fiancee (now husband) and no airlines would allow me to travel with them. I used a Florida rat forum to rehome them. It was very hard since I could have kept them a few more months. But I didn't want to risk losing an opportunity for a great home for them because of my selffishness.

Its been five years now, one baby and another on the way and I still have photos of my boys on my office desk.

I have persuaded my husband to consider ferrets after my dog and cat pass and the children are older. And I thought I was 'fine' with it. But then googling ferret cages inevitably led to FN rat infested cages... lol so now I am going to stalk your guys' pages and hope to have my own ratties again.

The brothers, Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten:

My boy Napoleon dressed up for halloween as a pi-rat:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love the pi-rat costume! So cute! I've only owned rats for a couple weeks and I'm already obsessed with them. I can only imagine the withdrawal! They're just such amazing pets and I really hope you can get rats again soon. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love the pi-rat costume! So cute! I've only owned rats for a couple weeks and I'm already obsessed with them. I can only imagine the withdrawal! They're just such amazing pets and I really hope you can get rats again soon. :)
OHmygoodness!! I totally agree with you Rugrats too cute the "pi-rat " >.<
lkoechle your boys were so photogenic beautiful pictures of them :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts