Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, Hi! It feels good to finally join something I have been reading on for months, if not years. None of you have known, until now, how much you have helped me and my critters in the past! I have read many helpful posts in the past, and just today decided to join for good! I aspire to be an active part of your community and I'm really happy to join all you rat lovers! :)

Secondly, this is a forum from around the world, I assume, anyone from Canada? I only ask because I'm curious about rats and pet-store breeding! I'm not sure if it's AT ALL relevant, but I have known of a few rats from "the pet store" that have had "respiratory problems" or other illnesses, and many from allegedly caring breeders that I've been told are in (apparently) much better health! I was wondering if, perhaps, something can be done to prevent this pattern or if it is even a pattern at all! I have only talked with a few people about their pet rats, and have had my own experiences to compare to, so as you can assume I'm pretty ignorant to the subject, partly why I have come here. I've also heard that most rats are assumed to just have myco, some more severe than others, so it could definitely be a coincidence!

I hope this post doesn't appear to be negative, because it was not intended as such, I'm just really worried about a friend of mine's rat, and other rats that have come from similar places. I couldn't find any information online, perhaps I hadn't searched it correctly.

Any information appreciated, this is my first post.

Thank you rat lovers :) <3

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey from Vancouver! :)

I have had a rat from the pet store and she was just fine, but I got lucky as most of her sisters and brothers (our class adopted the whole litter) died fairly early in life. When I was able to have rats again I tried to find a breeder, but couldn't find anything reasonably close so the next step was to check the SPCA and that's where my current ladies came from. I do know that pet store rats don't get handled much if at all, and they can sometimes keep them alone, which would be exceptionally boring in the tiny tanks they keep them in. Also about tanks - they're not very well ventilated, so that can cause problems too as far as I know.

I'm no expert, this is just my two cents. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts