Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
New rat been 21 years since my last one. I am 25 now. Recently laid off of work. So, figured I would get a great companion seeing as I have the time to try and get her to trust me.
Which is not going well IDK. Can't for sure make it out if it is going good or not.
I got her from a big pet store. Maybe 5-6 months old. Thats the number the girls gave me at the counter. Got a rodent Cage. For 22 dollars that was orig 100. So pretty decent size i think. 2.5 to 3 stories high in her world of fun.
No wheel to run in yet. Not many toys other than some non treated wooden sticks to chew on. Which I hardly ever seen used.
She took food from me after day one some cheerios. But, would either back up from me and eat them or go to her corner she was previously in. I would I guess maybe do something wrong and put her in my shirt while it was tucked in to get her to maybe get used to me?
I have some old socks for her to use as bedding and what not. She seems okay with being in her cage and my hand in with her. Can't try to pick her up without having to play hot potato with her passing from one hand to the next so she doesnt jump. She now does this weird thing.

Seems as if she is either attacking my hand or trying to play. She sorta does this sporadic prancing or jumping around and running around the cage. With lunging and pouncing on my hand and biting it or nipping it. Hasn't drawn blood. But, some of them are pretty hard. Not breaking skin though. Then does a lap around the bottom and goes to her food bowl and starts eating.
She lets me pet her behind the head and stroke her coat of fur. Sometimes turns and nips me or pushes my fingers away with her front hands/feet. Sometimes goes to another corner after a bit of petting her. Doesn't really run away. More or less scared idk. Sometimes comes the cage door when im sitting next to it with or without my hand to smell outside the cage and look aroundish. But never tries to leave.

I can not find any treats she likes anymore. I dont know about Immersion enough or trying to let her do that or maybe figure a way for her to trust me.
Maybe some more toys? Some kinda treats? Dont care for cheerios anymore. Doesnt like any of the yogurt covered nuts or yogurt on a spoon.
Love the lil girl. She is a White albino. Absolutely does not like to much lighting. Sleeps and lays around a lot. Sniffs around the cage walls and climbs looking up a little sometimes. Just lost right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think she just needs some time to get used to you. The "attacking" your hand could possibly be just her way of playing; my ratties like to nibble my fingers when I try to pet them, but they never hurt me.

As far as treats go, rats like most kinds of fruit, as far as I know. I also sometimes give mine small bits of popcorn or crackers or something. Just don't feed those to her too often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have tried little pieces of cut up apple. She took them for 3 pieces then completely stopped eating em. Hasn't liked the Apple since the first day i tried em on her. 2 days ago that is. She now tries a little bit then throws it down.
Thanks for the imput.
I will try some crackers but only popcorn i have is buttered. Not sure what kinda crackers i could get for her?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I treat my girls with yoghurt covered raisins I get from a health food place. They wouldn't take them at first though, wasn't until I had left one in there and let them try it without, I dunno, pressure? that they started accepting them. Now they'll happily take them. It's taken me some time to get any trust at all, and Praline is still fairly skittish, she'll hide away constantly. I think sitting on the couch and letting them run around me, without sorta forcing attention helped. Let her come to you a bit maybe, then you slowly and gently respond. Rats seem to be so curious I'm sure if you sat on the couch and played around on your laptop or read a book/played a game while giving her the freedom to wander on it, eventually she'd want to know what you are and what you're doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seen a little progress yesterday/last night. I found them Yogurt covered raisins at walmart and regular raisins to try. Shes had em a day and a half didnt really touch em yet. But ill keep it in with her. Maybe she will get curious. She took the one from my fingers and threw it to the ground while she was doing her running around climbing and jumping on my hand. Inside the cage.
But, yesterday i tried to let her free range during the day on the couch. She mostly wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe too much light coming inside? Idk. She found my shirt and that is where she hid and explored for and hour or so. She stopped moving and i think was beginning to rest. Then I had to put her up as my uncle and cousin came inside. They can tend to be a little loud so I didnt want them to scare her at all.
Although, last night. I was on the couch watching a little TV. She got a little frisky. I set it up where the cage door was resting on the edge of the couch. She decided to explore a little bit. She wasnt really frightened of me moving to much. She ran around the couch a little then hide back in her cage. Come back out and look around then try to find a hiding spot outside on the couch. Crawling under my legs and everything. So i put a sweater on the couch in cave style. She would go into it then pop out look around or go to her cage. Maybe 5 times she popped out of her cage to look around. She would smell around my hands and stuff. Not paying much mind to me. Just glad to see she is willing to explore. She even crawled on my arm from the cage and let me take her out one time and set her on the couch. Only light on was from the TV so it was a little dim. Maybe she is just frieghtene of bright lighting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts