Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of deliberation, our family decided recently to adopt a lovely female rat "Bird"... We will be going to pick up her buddy later this week. We have a dog and three cats. Introducing a rat into the family was a hard decision, mostly for her/their safety, hoping that they are not looked at as food or a toy to one of the cats. So far the cats seem interested, but don't try to pry at the cage. Our dog is gentle and just watches her. So far, we are just in love with her.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dogs usually do great with any other animals; I never had a problem.

When it comes to cats, it depends on the specific individual. I have five. 2 don't go into my room for territorial issues with the other 3. Of the 3 that do go into my room, one is an avid bird-chaser but so far only looked at the rat twice and when I said 'no', he never showed any interest again. One of them is a little angel, and is afraid of everything, including smaller animals. The last one, and youngest, has a strong instinct and goes crazy at the smell of anything that's not a cat, a dog or my parrot (we are all scared of my parrot, so he will always be safe haha). I am doing my best to keep her away from the rat cage but she had to spend the weekend in my bedroom because she was very sick. She could barely stand so I thought everything would be fine be I woke up to her standing on top of the cage. The cage has 4 levels so it's close to impossible for her to touch the rat, but I don't doubt it was a rather scary experience for my lovely rodent.

From my experience with cats and rodents, most cats learn not to pay too much attention to them, but I never give them the chance to spend time alone with the rodents, even if they are locked in their cages.
As long as you don't free-range your rattiefriends with the cats in the same room and you keep an eye on everyone, you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. :) No plans to let roam free while the rat-hunters are around. I hope they all come to love one another. That would be the ideal situation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey from Louisiana! A good friend of mine is from Arkansas and I've been there a couple times when I was in Ruston at LA Tech. Cute rat btw!! :) I love the white ones with black eyes. The red eyes always creep me out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts